Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

when did y'all begin physical therapy after a fusion?

advertisement

Comments

• Like Zach and Sara, I started PT in the hospital and began PT when I got home 4 days later. I wore my brace while doing the PT. I walked on the treadmill, did a lot of leg and hip exercises, and used the weight machines.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I also had the PT and OT in the hospital where they showed me how to get out of bed, walked me down the hall first with a walker and then a cane, worked with me on stairs, gave me advice on getting my clothes on by myself (including sending me home with a sock aid that I bought), and even gave me advice on wiping after a BM. ;) They were great!

I just started outside PT today. My surgeon's office has a PT group in the same suite that works directly with them, so when I went there they already had very detailed data on me. Since it was my initial evaluation they just talked to me about how I was feeling, watched me walk, checked incision, etc. Then they had me lay on heated towels and felt the tissue around my incision. They are not open next week for the holidays, and since I am early out they only started me on a few exercises to strengthen my core stomach muscles. Starting on Jan 5 I will see them 3 times a week.

• advertisement
  • I guess you can say I started already. Very basic stretching and doing laps around my house. I think I won't start more physical work related therapy until 6 weeks post surgery.
  • Next day after my fusion surgery a PT came over to see me, but all he did was helped me to get out of bed and take a few steps. Three days later I went to rehab, where I had PT sessions daily, but they were mostly to reacquaint me with my body, teach me how to walk, first with a walker, then with a cane, then unaided, including curbs and steps. I also did some leg exercises. When I went home, for the first month a PT came to see me, but we did basically the same things. I had some papers with various exercises, but she said walking was the most important. It was only after 5 months, when I was more or less fused, that I began my actual real PT.

Kin
  • I wasn't allowed to start PT from my 3 level fusion until fusion was being seen in my MRI and x-rays. That was at 23 weeks post op. And then it was slow, slow, slow,.... itty bitty baby steps, twice a week. I am now 10 months post op and still attend PT once a week. Still have a ways to go, but finally getting better. Good luck!!!
  • advertisement
advertisement