Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Am I missing the point?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am not a happy person.
I don't need to feel like this before Xmas. X(

I have a new PT. 6 weeks.

I have upset my PT big time cos I have refused to have reflexology!
She thinks that I will turn a corner if I have it. She says that she hopes I will let go of some of my last few years worth of traumas with my back surgery and pain problems.

I said "How?" sure yes, might relax me for a session but then what? Doesn't exactly cure the pain does it?
btw, the chair is a killer too! @)

I get the distinct feeling she thinks the pain I am experiencing is in my head. X(
I am furious. :jawdrop:

I have been to hell with my back pain and trying desperately to make some sense of it and get on with my life, as we all are on here, making adjustments and accepting the changes and trying hard to treat each day as "the one" that will make the difference.

I am low but it is hidden away. I am tired and weary of the pain and after 23 months of post surgery recovery (complications for those who don't know me) and years of problems before I don't need this.

Anyway, my question is, Am I missing something? What will Reflexology do for me?

Your experiences and thoughts would be appreciated - I want to get this sorted!
I feel so upset! :''(

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• it really is just a matter of the PT has not given you enough detail about reflexology.
    I have had it many times and find it very benificial but I know others who have felt no difference.
    In maternity hospitals here they use both reflexology and accupuncture instead of pain killers for women birthing and many swear by it.

Reflexology works on sensors or meridians on your feet that correspond with different parts of the body. When the point in the foot is pressed it can relieve pain and also help to release emotional blockages that are stored there.
    So -I am sure the PT doesnt think the pain is in your head but that maybe there are unknown emotional blockages that may be stopping you from moving forward.
    If the chair hurts you then ask to lie on a bed instead. You do need to be comfortable or there is no point.

Anyway the choice is yours not hers or mine so you do what you think is right for you. Oh And dont get upset over it as it is not worth it.
    Merry Christmas.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Emotional blockages (she used that word too) - what are they?

I can't get past thinking she thinks i am making it up!

Thank you, for explaining, I never realized it could be helpful in pain control.
  • advertisement
  • I have also thought about reflexology, read a lot about it and if it works why not give it a try. I think the emotion part is how our pain has blocked a lot of our emotions and that in turn causes more pain. I will be 2 years in Feb since my surgery and yes I am in as much pain as before surgery and most days more pain. If I try and relax it does help with the pain, tension only makes pain worse.

Sharon
  • Hello Itsalongwalk,

First, I have not had my physical therapist suggest reflexology to me so I can't speak from experience.

I have read about it. I'm glad it has helped Sara. As Sharon said "why not give it a try".

With that said, from what I have read and how it comes across to me it is just a means to try and get you to relax a bit. So does a glass of wine.

RichT

• I can be a bit wooden at times - it is my coping strategy.

Mentally I am hanging on with my finger nails...It has been such a roller-coaster with expectations and dashed hopes then trying to accept "this is it" then off you go again, more surgery so then the fears, hopes etc.

So you don't think she is being funny??
    >:D<

• advertisement
  • Hello Itsalongwalk,

"So you don't think she is being funny??" Read my PM to you.

Hang on by those fingernails!!!!

AHHHHhhh, nice hugs on a winter day. And right back to you.

RichT
  • Sorry I have been arranging Christmas dinner and didn't get back here.
    Basically emotional blockages are where we hide what we are feeling both from ourselves and others. We all do it on a regular basis. I know I dont tend to tell frineds or family when I am in pain as I know there is nothing they can do to help, so why make them feel bad.
    But because I dont express it, I find I store it in my muscles. It is that tenseness that PT or exercises cant release and we are often very unaware of.

I also know and I am really putting it on the line here- that when I injured my back I was about to turn 40 and going through a pretty bad time. I was unmarried- no kids and not where I had expected or wanted to be at 40.
    I was feeling totally unsupported (back supports us) and wanted to be looked after.
    Well I got what I wanted didn't I :jawdrop: Just not the way I wanted it. Suddenly I had support and people to look after me.
    So since then I make a point of "releasing" how I feel. This can be in vocalising it to myself, maybe with some healing or the big one- allowing myself to cry. :''(
    Growing up I always felt I had to be the 'strong one' and take on everyones problems now I listen but dont add them to mine and that really helps too.

I hope that has helped you to understand.

Extra gentle Christmas hugs Sara O:)
  • I don't think you should feel bad for feeling the way you do. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions on treatments, and their own take on what treatments they personally will receive. Honestly, I don't believe in that mumbo jumbo. That's all that is to me. I don't believe in acupuncture or any type of holistic medicine. I think it's even more ridiculous than someone insinuating another person has psychosomatic pain. I have nothing against those who do believe in this stuff, nor do I judge them... But I, personally, would refuse to continue seeing a doctor or therapist who truly believed in it. Thankfully my surgeon doesn't. Her P.A. does and suggested it to me once, which scared me and kind of turned me off from the practice, temporarily, but my doctor is pretty grounded and into firm medical treatments only. That's just my choice, and my doctor's choice, and it works well for me. If the other stuff works well for others, that's good. I'm happy for them. But there is nothing wrong with being on either side of the fence, or not wanting to take part in something you don't truly find beneficial. It's a waste of your time and energy if you aren't 100 percent into it. And you don't have to be. NOTHING at ALL wrong with that. Don't beat yourself up over it. I understand where you are coming from; I think many people will, and you are not alone.
  • Hello Lo,

Your post was a "breath of fresh air". Our daughter, my wife and I were just talking about "cures". I have a scientific mind, my daughter (unfortunately) does not.

Okay, FORWARD

I couldn't agree with you more about "that mumbo jumbo". I'm with you regarding "acupunture or any type of holistic medicine". However, we do disagree on one thing -

You maintain that if some form of "snake medicine" helps someone, then fine. That is where our paths separate. I'm an oldie. I worked for the FDA for my entire career. Unfortunately it is NOT the agency it once was. Do not forget that the reason it was formed at the very beginning was because of all the "snake medicine" that was being marketed.

There is the placebo effect, it is real. That is why it is included in scientific studies. You cannot determine if a new medication/device has any merit if you do not have as a part of the study a "blind". Our minds play tricks on us. We may THINK we feel better because of this or that when in fact we have not even received "this or that". That is basically the placebo effect.

It IS WRONG for anyone or company to be telling people they have this "magic cure" when it has not been scientifically tested in a clinical study and proven to be effective. It troubles me that my daughter and SOOOOoo many others don't understand this. For some to "market" these wacko totally unproven whatevers as the "magic cure" is extremely wrong. Wrong because the person is NOT receiving the medical attention they should be receiving, and thus may die prematurely because of not receiving proper medical treatment in a timely manner.

Unfortunately even medical doctors get pulled into this "magic cure" stuff. I have been able to document a couple of cases where it was because the doctor had financial ties to the "wacko" company. That just makes me sick.

I could write a book about this, but that would be improper on a forum.

Take care, and THANKS much for sharing your most valuable thoughts.

RichT

• Yes I have heard your stories so many times but I have also heard the other side. I am not going to get into a debate about this as it is not appropriate here and this thread is about how IALW feels. But I will say I thik it is very sad that you are both so closed to something that could potentially benifit you but if you are so closed it probably wouldn't.
    We cant scientifically test either God or Love but we beleive in both dont we? I will leave it there.

Blessing to you both Sara O:)
advertisement