Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Can't Take It

• Just my two cents as an attempt to help.I remember when you joined the "Club".It made me sad how young you are,and already in so much pain.Ok,from my experience with the "Beast" called back pain...If the 800mg Ibuprofen doesn't help in a few weeks period it's pretty much useless.It would only damage your stomach.Have you spoken to your doc about a course of oral steroids?It can be very effective.
    Muscle spasms can be very,vary painful.After my disk got infected I was nailed to my bed for more than four months. My lower body muscles turned into mash.You wanna talk about wicked spasms,talk to me.Gluteal muscles,calves,hamstring.PT was painful,but it got better with time.I still get them sometimes,but it's nothing compared to few months ago.Friend of mine,who's an athletic trainer,told me that for each month I spent inactive,it'll take 2-3 months for my muscles to recover.Patience and persistence are the magic words.
    After I became bedridden my mattress couldn't take the abuse.Needed to be replaced.I tried a few,and bought my new online.The best spent money in my life so far.It is a Sealy memory foam mattress.At the end of each day my body screams to go to bed.It knows it will relax and rest.You may have different needs.Go,try few of them.The model of my Sealy is Blue Lake memory foam.
    If I were you,I'd stay away from chiro "adjustments".It can very well make the matter worse.Instead,try massage for the spasms,but make sure you talk to the therapist about your problems first.
    Hope the novel helps a bit.Get better,and don't give up.As Ron said,you have youth on your side.

• I've got a home TENS unit (electric stim) that really helps with muscle spasms. I don't know if that's what you meant about "gadgets." Mine is small and can clip onto my sweat pants. Before the TENS I used those Therma Care heat patches, the ones with charcoal, not the menthol ones, but they're not cheap.

As for beds, both Tempurpedic and Sleep Number beds have in home try out offers if you get them online. You could try them both in your home. If you don't like them you can send them back.

I've got DDD also. I'm almost two months post surgery for L3-L4 fusion. It's given me a good deal of relief but I'm still limited in what I can do. I think I'll be starting pt after my next dr.'s appointment. I also have a crushed disc at L5-S1 and facet issues.

Where abouts were you in Philly? I'm originally from the suburbs south west of Philly.

I hope your ESI goes well. My first one gave me incredible pain relief. My doctor made me get a second one and it ruined my pain relief. Maybe yours will be the opposite.

• advertisement
  • Cwendyhawk, thank you for that post, it was well-informed and encouraging!

Hi Grace! I agree with other members that saying welcome here makes me feel weird. I wish I wasn't saying it, but I'm glad you've found us for support!

I just turned 22. I've had spine problems and PAIN for 7 years now, the past 3 being severe. I have a herniated L5-S1 and sciatica that runs down both legs, YAY!

I can COMPLETELY understand the social aspect of this. I figured out quickly who my real friends were, and that wasn't pleasant to say the least. In the time I needed them most, they would all rather go out, party, drink, and what not, than be with me when I can't get out of bed. After the shock of losing most of my 'friends' I had to learn how to adjust to this new life. It's definitely not easy, I actually started seeing a counselor because I was turning into an angry person due to pain, and I'm NOT an angry person. It's helped a lot... Sometimes, when I'm at home stuck in bed on a weekend night, I feel so lonely that I can't even describe it. This and another website is what keeps me going.

My problem started from sports too. I mainly did gymnastics and tae kwon do, but I did wrestling, cheerleading, track, flags, dance, swimming, and more I've probably forgot. I had to find a new identity when I couldn't do sports. The only thing that helped is time... It took a long time to figure out who I was without sports and stuck in my body that failed me, but I did it and I like what I've found. The only thing that gets to me is that I got myself in a really, really bad situation by doing something positive- sports. I feel responsible, in a weird way, for being in this situaiton. Through my wonderful counselor, I've learned to forgive myself and concentrate on the present and a little of the future.

For my 22nd birthday, I was set on going out and enjoying myself as best I could. Ok, so how do you do this when you have a severe back problem, are on crutches due to having my right knee in a straight leg brace (old sports injury re-aggravated... I even had surgery when I was 15 to fix this problem and it didn't work, talk about lame!)? It takes a lot of planning, but it is possible. I first called the bar I wanted to go to. I asked to reserve a table for a party, they said ok. Then I specified that I needed a chair with a back, rather than a bar stool, due to my condition. I brought a big jacket to bunch up under my knee if it hurt. I arrived early to make sure I had myself set up before my friends got there so they would not see me struggle to get into place. I didn't get up unless I needed to. Since it was my birthday :D everone was nice to me and extra helpful. Because of all my extra planning, I ended up having an awesome night! I was in pain, but it didn't seem to matter as much to me as the fact that I was out, with people, acting as normal as I can...

I know this wouldn't happen if I just had my back problem because, unlike the knee problem, people can't see it, but it was nice for the night! If I'm out on a regular night, I make sure the place has a seat with a back for me. I make it a point when I go out to tell people I have a bad back problem. If I need a seat or something, it's a bit easier to get if you tell the person you're in a lot of pain and will fall over if you don't sit. I'm not shy about saying I have a severe problem. If people don't like it or can't handle it, too bad for them!!! I don't really go to places where I know there won't be seating or other accommodations. This prevents me from going to concerts, dance clubs, and lots of other places. It is quite frustrating, but at least I can sometimes go out to other places. I try not to focus too much on where I can't go and what I can't do, it takes a lot of effort on a daily basis, but I'm super-grateful for the things I can still do because I know I could be worse off. Doesn't mean my situation is any better, but keeping my mind strong helps me to cope...

I'm sorry you have to go through this and that this is sooo long! :D I'm here for you!!! I hope you find a way to get your situation under control...

Much love and understanding,
This discussion has been closed.