Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ALMOST OT.. but not totally....

advertisement

Comments

• My husband and I never had children (never really planned to when we married 21 years ago), so our dogs are our children. We're down to one (little Merc) having lost out little Maggie 1-1/2 years ago to heart disease.

So J and Charry, I totally understand. Our pets ARE our children and, darn it, we can spoil 'em if we want to!!!
  • ...J I can't wait to see how your little guy likes the stew! :D 8>
  • advertisement
  • Bailey is the one who was put on the tramadol- Hes the oldest (almost 6).. Babydog is going on 2, and Snuffy is 4.
    Yes, Cath- these dogs are most def. like kids, so I wouldnt let the little guy suffer if something will help him, ya know!
    I hope the tramadol is helping, but HE WILL LOVE THIS STEW and I really hope it helps! I would rather try something more natural than prescription drugs. Lord what if he ran out (well, actually i could give him mine). A dog would go thru w/drawls as bad as any human, wouldnt it?? I dont know! Like I said, if I could find a more natural treatment, I would be more comftorable with it for sure.

I saw an infomercial in the middle of the night a few years ago that was all about some kind vitamin for dogs w/arthritis and it was like a miracle drug. It CLAIMED that dogs that could barely walk were running/fetching again, all that. At the time I didnt have a dog w/arthritis and didnt think much of it, but wish I could remember what that was now!
  • Or at least that is how I felt and still feel about my little Murphy. She was 14 yrs old and the last year of her life she fought cancer....she was tough. Someone said the reason pets seem to die so young is can you imagine loosing them after being with them 30 years instead of 14....it kind of made sense to me. My heart is still breaking and I cry each day. She slept with me, eat with me...everything. After my surgeries she was the one who would stay up with me at night, walking the floor, taking every step I took......it is a great loss but I am so fortunate to have had Murphy and loved her for 14 years. I just had to write this.

Sharon
  • advertisement
  • Shar, your post is so sweet. I feel for you, really I do. How long ago did you lose her? What kind of dog was she? She sounds like such a joy! She was lucky to have you and you were lucky to have her :)

Its funny because my dogs absolutely know when Im having bad pain, or if my husband is sick, etc. They will lay w/whoever is sick, follow them around. They almost seem depressed. Its so strange, but they are just that in tune with everyone in the family.

Ive never heard that statement about how long dogs live before, but it also makes sense to me. I wish it was different though! I think id rather outlive mine! Though, I shouldnt say that, my dogs are so attached to me and my husband that I cant even imagine what they would think if one of us disappeared. They would be as broken hearted as we would be if something happened to one of them!

• Its bad out, so I sent my husband to the store- I should be cooking up some DOGGIE STEW shortly :)
  • We lost Murphy 3 days before Christmas, we had her put to sleep. We were so hoping that she would make through Christmas but that Monday I could tell she was suffering so much and I had to make the decision. She was a Shih-tzu, furry little black and white ball. She had 4 surgeries during the year before and each time she bounced back like a puppy but around Thanksgiving she started vomiting and then stopped eating....the cancer had spread through her organs. The vet give her the Tramadol for pain but the last few days I could not get the pills down her. We tried everything but nothing worked.
  • What a decision to have to make, especially right before Christmas- That is SO sad :( .

There are a few websights about losing a pet and they have some really pretty poems- One in particular is "from" the dog "to" the owner, its really neat.

I dont want to post it and make things worse for you!!! But if you decide at anytime that you would want to read it, its easy to find if you google "pet loss". (Or of course ill send it to you sometime, after some of the initial pain has worn off a little bit).

It sounds like Tramadol made her life a little more pain free for awhile, hopefully it does the same for mine. Though he isnt in anywhere near the situation your pup was in, I hate to think of him being in pain.

Take care :)
  • I know that a university close to me has been doing trials on dogs with severe arthritis with an herbal compound called SAM-E. I don't know the dosage but have heard that the dogs getting the drug could barely walk outside and after about a month were playing again. I think it works more for joint arthritis and hips tho, not spine arthritis.

In people, I've heard it recommended as a mood stabilizer.
advertisement