Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back Surgery recovery

Comments

• I had a 2 level l4- s-1 PLIF and discectomy and a biopsy on sacrum. Grabbers are good, also I like have rails that attach to tiolet, gives you something to hold on to. Shower seat I didnt use, I was not supposed to be in shower until incision healed for very long and I could stand. It depends on what you have been taking pre surgery for pain on what you feel like. I had alot of pain casue i have been on high doses of narcotics for 2 years. They gave me dilaidid and fentyl patch and oxycodone for pain. First 2 or 3 days are worst, gets better, First time up is worse and it gets better, I have a hospital bed have for 2 years. Depends on insurance co and your doctor, Most of day I lay, but try to walk as much as possible. You just need some help the first week orso. Then just help with showwering and stuff. You cant lift anything so dishes nad cooking and stuff is out, Also if you have small containers for stuff in fridge, like milk and things so it can be put on top shelf for you, it will help you be more independant when you are able to make cereal and stuff. I put my PJ's and underware on stuff on top of dressor so I could pick out what I wanted to wear without bending. Also a bedside rolling tray, laptop and same little rectangular plastic boxes will help keep meds and remotess and stuff so you dont drop them off table next to bed. Hope this helps. :H
  • I will get a table and get it ready. i like soup so I am going to go get some to fill the cupboard i should be able to handle making that right? ya know the kids in a can.?
  • advertisement
  • I had a PLIF about 9 weeks ago, yes you do have quite an incision (mine from the middle of my back to my butt), & to be honest, be prepared for the pain. I was very lucky my husband did everything for me, but because of it, I gained 30 lbs really quickly! It took quite a while to get walking again, about 6 weeks for me for any distance. Then I still get really sore afterwards. I don't remember much about being in the hospital, you have a morphine pump (I did), plus they will give you anything to keep you comfortable. The real deal is when you get home, & don't have that advantage of having IV pain meds, that work quickly. You should expect to be down awhile. I wanted to do more, but your body will tell you what you can & can't do. I still take all my pain meds I took when I was discharged, i tried to cut back, but could do nothing when I tried. Not worth it. Good days & bad. I hope soon, the pain will be more bearable. He said 6 months to a yr. I said, no way, I'm too active. It has really got me down. Everyone is different. You may be up & going in no time. Hopefully you will. Good luck, God bless, Linda
  • Carnation instant breakfast is awesome. Soup is good too. But the instant breakfast gives you so many vitamins. The hospital dietitian told me to get some, i didnt have much of an appetite and it gives you good nutrition,. Also they have boost and ensure, I had that for a previous surgery, but expensive and carnation is just as good, well maybe not quite but is way cheaper. Dont plan on doing anything when you get home, everything will tire you out...Good Luck. Whats your date? Take a big garbage bag to put on the seat of your vehicle for ride home. Then you wont twist getting in and out, its a lifesaver. :)
  • I am now three weeks after surgery. As I said earlier, recovoery has been rough for me.

They should give you anything you need in the hospital in regards to shower chair, toilet seat, walker, etc,...

I spend most of my day laying in bed. I do walk around the house a bit, I don;t use the walker in the house anymore. If I decide to take a small walk outside, I do use the walker. I think I took my first walk outside about 1 week after surgery. The first week is spent in the hospital and in bed. I don;t really remember much of the hospital time. Pain medication takes care of that.

I cooked breakfast for my kids today!! I actually really enjoyed that. I started to feel a little useless...lol...

I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is swift!!

--Take care

• advertisement
  • I'm having a fusion at L5-S1 on February 4th and my doctor told me I'll be able to drive (and I suppose that means I can also go back to work) after 2 weeks!! That's awesome, but can that really be true?? I'm reading all this stuff that says 4 weeks, 6 weeks (or longer)...but 2 weeks??
  • I cant drive, can hardly sit in car. But everyone is differntt. I had 7 3/4 hour surgery. I think it would be a little quick.
  • Welcome to Spine health Momof2girlies,

I don't know about driving after two weeks, I had a three-level fusion and for months I could not (was not allowed to) bend, twist, or lift. I am not sure about the requirements after one-level fusion, but seems to me, that no no BLT rule applies to all fusion patients. Without twisting a bit, I find it impossible to drive, especially when merging or pulling in and out of parking spaces.

Kin
  • do not think so you surely will need more time then that off work.I 'd go talk to your dr asap about it
  • Hi 2 weeks...

What type of fusion are you having?

I am having a Axial LIF. This is the new type of minimal envasive procedure with 1 inch incision at the tail bone and two 1 inch incisions on each side of the spine if you get stable screws. This type is new and does not has a much less recovery. You still have BLT's to follow and have the same fusion concerns. Some of my reading has talked about patients going back to work and driving in weeks after this procedure.

Blessings,
    Backtyme
advertisement