Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bone graft from hip vs. BMP...please help!!!

advertisement

Comments

• I had a anterior lumbar fusion last March and have had absolutely no problems with BMP. I have an xray taken monthly to check the level and extent of the fusion. The latest one was taken last week and all looks well. I did a lot of research and chose a very skilled surgeon. I would have this surgery again in a heartbeat. I am so much better off than I was prior to the surgery. B)
  • Hello, I had BMP along with allograft (donor bone matrix) and autograph (my bone from lamina, pedicles, and spinous processes). It was placed inside a Bak Peek cage in my posterior fusion and in the posterior-lateral gutter (making it technally off label-use). I am just over 5 months out and things are going great. Last xray showed early fusion. No problems so far except some tightness over the SI joint area. I went back to work as an RN at 15 weeks post-op. Good-luck with your decision. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • advertisement
  • Her surgeon never "not recommended" it... That would be advocating against it... And he wasn't. His first choice was autograft, but in her post she said nothing about him being against BMP, or he obviously wouldn't have offered her the choice after she asked. If he didn't believe in it, he wouldn't use it.

Different doctors will say different things. You should trust your doctor, so I wouldn't convince you not to believe what he told you. However, my information was from an unbiased source... A medical journal. For me, I'd trust a medical journal and scientific research over a doctor, because a doctor could overplay the risk for his benefit, or underplay it, as well.... You really never know.

I agree, she wanted experiences, and I'm not disputing your opinion... I am solely offering up scientific information in response to the topic of horror stories. I am not minimizing your terrible experience, or anything of the sort... I just think that she should make her decision on the facts, and not emotions either way... Good OR bad. I also would not wish complications on anyone.

Anyway, there's really nothing else to say on this topic, nor is there any productive purpose in furthering it, lol. So, that being said... I hope you're doing well now, and I'm glad that you made it through your situation in one piece! Take care :)
  • Yep, I agree, my first step is researching peer-reviewed medical journals and the FDA as well as my surgeon who participated in research trials concerning BMP. I have posted links in many threads about reputable, peer-reviewed articles as well as FDA studies and warnings.

And yep, there's horror stories for everything including getting a simple pedicure, but the negative data on BMP is out there and is underreported.

My entire focus has been to share my story and encourage people to do their own research so that they can be informed consumers.
  • Just wanted to say thanks for the link you put on one of these threads about bmp and potential radiculitus. I read it and hope I'm not one of the 23% that takes 13 months (median) to get rid of the nerve irritation; that by the way follows the dermatome of the ChiroGeek link you also posted. I'm only 3 weeks out but there is absolutely no improvement in the leg pain that wasn't there preop. I know time will tell but patience isn't one of my virtues! Hopefully it's not the bmp but I think it is too early to tell. We'll see.
  • advertisement
  • My doc used BMP. I also consulted several other surgeons who also recommended BMP. I'm sure the specific diagnosis factors into what they use. I have heard that the hip harvesting site is more painful than the back--which I can't imagine, that would be horrible. I am 2 months in--feel like I may have turned the corner at 8 weeks, still have pain but it is improving every day. My doc gave me information on studies done on BMP--the fusion rate is 98 percent plus, according to his stats. Lumbar only as mentioned.

Chuck
  • Is your doc giving you the option of cadaver bone? That's what I had for my ACDF and at my 8 week appointment X-rays showed a "textbook perfect" fusion. He even said I may be fused enough to be skiing in March (5 months post-op). The cadaver bone eliminates both the pain of the autograph and the potential complications of BMP. Since BMP is not approved for cervical procedures it wasn't a choice for me. I opted for cadaver bone without hesitation because of the pain and long-term problems with autographs.
  • My doc originally wanted to use my own bone..."the gold standard," he said. When I asked for an alternative to that, he mentioned the InFuse product (BMP). He said there's a better chance of fusion with BMP than there is with cadaver bone, so he doesn't go that route.

I'm still so confused about this.
  • InFuse is done with LT cages through an anterior incision. This is what has a 98 percent fusion rate, and is basically the most successful technique, STATISTIC-wise. Not everyone is going to have a successful surgery with it, and not everyone with something else will have an unsuccessful one... But using Infuse with LT cages IS FDA approved, and has VERY good results.
  • my own bone taken from the laminectomies (instead of hip) and BMP.
    I have had no problems with the BMP - my Surgeon did say that occassionally it can cause cysts to grow but they fix themselves fairly quickly. I would use this method again if I had my time over.

I have also had a hip revision where I needed a graft taken from my other hip (so the same as in a fusion) and I had no problems with that either- no excess pain etc.

Blessings Sara O:)

advertisement