Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

neck/back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi
iam new on here and would like to say hello!
iam 34 years old (male)from wales uk.
my history is 4 years i had a fall and 3 years this august i had an cervical discetomy with fusion at levels c5-c6 after suffering for 9 months and not knowing what was wrong with me,and by the time it was found i could not walk very good and was in constant pain in my right arm and,strangley my legs and feet...
after the surgery things did not get that much better as the disc on the mri had severly imbeded itself into the spinal cord and was operated on as an emergency with 24 hrs.

i have now had an mri again and the results are that c6-c7 has now got to be retracted using the same fusion op.
iam in constant pain now and find it difficult to sit for long and wake up in the night with dead arms legs ect.
iam on ibruprofen and sometimes codine and paracetamol,which is doing nothing for the pain though,iam and allways been a very activate person also i was a personal trainer(instructor)but now can not work and iam so frustrated!:-(..
iam on the waiting list at the mo for the op and it could be 4-6 months before its done,iam not looking forward to it again but i just want it done asap as i dont want to do as much damage as last time.

would it be best for me to totally rest or keep active as when i do do some exercise it brings some releif as sitting/lying the pain just gets worse..

anyways its just nice to read and hear from people that are going through what iam as its hard for others to understand the pain iam in!

it would be great to hear from anyone on here and chat
best regards
John
advertisement

Comments

• Oh, boy, John, you like so many of us are having so many issues! We UNDERSTAND your pain! I guess we are lucky here in the US... at least I did not have to wait long for the actual surgery... once it was determined that this was the route we were taking, my surgery was in 3 days after that!!

Like you, I am on my second round of problems and am also in constant pain. At this point, we are still diagnosing the next step...

I would suggest that you do that which you feel comfortable doing... also, ask your NS what they suggest. I still go to work every day although I digest a lot of pain pills to allow me to go through it. As far as physical activity, I do very little except do the dishes and some very light housework... forget the lawn work or the snow shoveling... leave that to the hired help or your partner if you can!!!

Keep us posted! Good Luck!
  • At this point I agree with dogpatchpa01. You just do what ever makes you feel best. I am so sorry you are having to wait so long before surgery. The waiting is the worst!

Hang in there,

Cindee
  • advertisement
  • dogpatchpa01 said:
    Oh, boy, John, you like so many of us are having so many issues! We UNDERSTAND your pain! I guess we are lucky here in the US... at least I did not have to wait long for the actual surgery... once it was determined that this was the route we were taking, my surgery was in 3 days after that!!

Like you, I am on my second round of problems and am also in constant pain. At this point, we are still diagnosing the next step...

I would suggest that you do that which you feel comfortable doing... also, ask your NS what they suggest. I still go to work every day although I digest a lot of pain pills to allow me to go through it. As far as physical activity, I do very little except do the dishes and some very light housework... forget the lawn work or the snow shoveling... leave that to the hired help or your partner if you can!!!

Keep us posted! Good Luck!

thankyou for the reply,yes it is frustrating haveing to wait so long but thats the state of our NHS :-(
    i think i will try and do as much as i can what does not hurt ect..LOL about getting the hired help to do the chores:-)
    where abouts in the us are you from??
    best regards
    john
  • ... I am about 1 1/2 hrs from New York City in the heart of the Poconos... which part of the UK are you from??? I thought that the "hired help" line would get you laughing!!!
    ... I feel crappy today. At this point the NS has not put me out on dissability so I struggle through each day still working and wishing that I could just lie on my bed to feel better. I guess you are lucky that you do not have to work while feeling such pain. As I mentioned, I have to take pain pills at work just to make it through the day.
    So, do you have someone to help you out around the house??? Significant other?
    If you wish to email privately, my email is magillbjr@verizon.net

Take Care,
    Bill

Nice Pic!
advertisement