Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Upcoming C5-C7 Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All,
I'm 46 and have a 2 level cervical fusion scheduled in April. I have DDD and multiple disc herniations. C56 and C67 have colapsed and stenosis as well as bone spurs have formed. I had multi level lumbar surgery over 25 years ago so back pain has been a constant companion. I'm hoping this procedure will help eleviate some pain and give me back the strength in my arms. I'm just looking for some support from any of you who have had this procedure. I'm just a bit...ok more than a bit nervous.
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Sheila!

I had a ACDF 5-6-7 in July of 2005. I am sure you will do fine. I never regreted my surgery and was very pleased.

What kind of questions can we answer for you?

Cindee

• Hi Sheila,

I also will be having surgery on C5-6 C6-7, I hope in March.
    I have the same problems as you. Keep in touch with us, It will be nice to talk to someone that will have the same surgery.
    Like you, I amalso nervous about all of this.

Joyce
  • advertisement
  • Hi Sheila,

Good luck on your surgery. I also will be having surgery on C5-6 C6-7, I hope in March.
    I have the same problems as you. Keep in touch with us, It will be nice to talk to someone that will have the same surgery.
    Like you, I amalso nervous about all of this.

Joyce
  • hi there

just had fusion and all the stuff,2 mo. ago
    C 3 4 5 6 7...it helped my arm pain and my
    dexterity came back, I'm certainly pleased
    about that. Leg and foot pain still.

I hope all goes well for you. the harderdest
    part is the waiting.

good luck

dave
  • I had a 3 level ACDF C4-7 about a month ago and am doing great. If it wasn;t for the collar I am wearing I am sure I would be feeling much better but that too has gotten bearable. I don't regret my surgery I just wish I had done it sooner.

Good Luck
  • advertisement
  • I am having surgery March 26 for fusion of c4-c7. I am 35 but have a lot of damage from an accident and then years of abuse from work. Anyways, I have read popsicles are good post surgery. Anthing else? Any tricks or tips to make things easier for recovery?
  • Hi all, sounds like my op is a bit before yours.... so maybe i'll be able to keep you posted about how i get on :-) mine is 24th Feb.... counting down the days!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Things you will want to do pre surgery.

Get things sorted around your house.

You will want things you need daily at waist level. Bending and reaching above your head will be uncomfortable.

The recliner was my best friend after my first surgery. I sleep there for 3 weeks the first time. My second surgery was a bit easier. This time I slept in it for 1 1/2 weeks.

Get V neck shirts so it doesn't interfer with your collar or the stitches. Button up's are ok but you can't look down to well. I prefered pullovers myself.

Try and prepare a few meals for the freezer if you don't have someone else cooking for you.

Cool treats are great for your throat. Cloraseptic helps to ease the sore throat pain as well. Stock up on soft foods. Soups, pudding, jello, broth are all great post op. Mash potatoes are good but becareful they aren't to hot! My first surgery I swallowed hot potatoes and my plate heated up really fast. Chase it with a cold drink and it will subside!

Wishing all of you will upcoming surgeries the very best!

Cindee
  • Hello, everyone!
    I just wanted to provide support for anyone planning on having a multi-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion procedure. I had ACDF C4-C7 done on 2/17/09 and was discharged from the hospital on 2/19/09. I am home, eating a regular diet, performing most activities independently and am free of pain for the first time in months!
    There is some swelling along the neck incision, but I did not experience any sore throat or hoarseness of my voice after surgery. Woke up in the recovery room and was able to move around, swallow easily and talk without problems.
    I realize that this may not be the usual postoperative course, and I am grateful to have had an excellent neurosurgeon who recommended that my surgery be done as soon as possible to reduce the risk of permanent nerve damage.
    The surgery took three hours as my C5-6 and C6-7 vertebrae were essentially fused together due to extensive disc dessication and stenosis. My surgeon said he had to do a lot of "digging" to get all the disc material out. He placed cadaver bone and titanium plate and screws. Do not have to wear a collar and have only some mild shoulder discomfort. The positioning on the OR table requires hyperextension of the neck and the shoulders take a bit of a beating. Taking Norco for pain and Robaxin for muscle spasms (mild) with good relief.
    Restrictions are to do no forward bending, no twisting and no lifting greater than 5 lbs. My favorite restriction is "NO HOUSEWORK". Having supportive friends and family makes a very big difference -- you do need assistance in preparing meals etc.
    I hope my positive results help ease some of the concerns for anyone facing this surgery. I wish everyone all the best!

Carol

• Cindee one more thing. I was having trouble swallowing after my surgery especially pills. Then a friend told me take them with something thicker than water like milk or Chocolate milk. And that seemed to help me.

And yes for a while popsicles and Jello were my best friends.
advertisement