Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone have a myelogram cause lasting problems??

Comments

• I have had one of those. No problems with the dye. However he got half way through injecting the fluid and I thought my head would explode. He moved the table around and then finished. I was yelling at him enough was enough.

2 days later I am in the hospital for a blood patch. I have never had a headache like that in my life. When the neurosurgeon looked at the results. He say" very uninteresting, oh well...". That was 2 doctors fired the same week.

I will not volunteer to do one of those again. It showed and proved nothing to get my L5/S1 disc issue resolved.

That test is way too easy for the anesthesiologist to stab you in the spine. The hospital ER folks were not surprised in the least when I came into ER complaining of a headache driven by a freight train. They immediately called down doc to do a blood patch.

• Hi, I had a myelogram yesterday for a T7-8 problem. The dr. doing it hit either a nerve or the cord. I jumped 2 ft. off the table with the needle still in my back. She screamed for me to get back down on the table but it was like a lightning bolt going down my inner left leg from my groin to toe. Has this ever happened to anyone else? They let me go home about 4 hrs afterwards. And yes, I also had a killer headache while it was being done. I truly thought my head was going to explode when they tipped the table.
    I have had some really strange nerve stuff going on in my back and legs overnight. Is this normal? Thank you for info.

marcy

PS. the headache is only very mild this morning.
  • advertisement
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
    I hope you're feeling better. I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Is your headache better?

Debbie
  • MARCY
    DID PAIN STRIKE YOU WHEN THEY TILTED TABLE TO GET DYE INTO THE NECK. I WAS HIT WITH TERRIBLE PAIN WHEN THEY TILTED TABLE. I WAS OK THE NEXT DAY.
    JOAN
  • Hi all,
    I had a myelogram 12/15. The test went OK. I felt the dye go in and a strange feeling in my right leg and foot but otherwise no big deal. Went home and laid down until the next day. Then the headaches started. Yesterday every time I was up for more than 15 minutes my head felt as if it would pop off my neck. So now today same same. My doc has ordered bed rest until saterday. I thought my back could hurt until this type of headache. I dislike laying down doing nothing more than anything, but what can you do. I pray there are no other side effects and all of you get past yours quickly.
    God Bless,
    George
  • advertisement
  • Pls Delete error

Thnx
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
    edited 06/16/2016 - 12:19 PM
    To Debbie and all here,

I noticed your md said tarlov cysts are not painful...this is true most of, but certainly not all the time especially if the cysyt is compressing a nerve/filling with fluid. 

On another note it was shown on my recent MRI I have a tarlov on S2 which is causing me classic symptomatic tarlov pain. When I saw a neuro surgeon toady he suggested I have myelogram as he thinks I may not have a tarlov cyst but an epidurmoid growth...problem is I had some recent (3 & 4 wks ago) lumbar cortisone epidurals that went wrong (wet tap, hemtoma etc) which left me in much worse pain that I had before and I'm worried about getting another injection/myelogram especially after what I've read here! Since I already have two brand new MRIs, one of the lumbar and one of sacral spine do I really need the myelo, does it really show that much more? I will need surery to remove the growth or even if its a tarlov however and I believe the surgeon wants more info before we move toward surgery but I 'm just not sold the myelo will give that much more info...anyone here know? All comments are most welcome.

Thanks so much

BBC
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
    Hi and welcome to Spine Health.
    I'm sorry you're having these problems. I can see why you hesitate to have the myelogram after the problems with the epidurals. That's how I've felt since the myelogram. Most people who have myelograms have no problem with them. I do think a myelogram shows a lot more than an MRI. I'm sure others here who've had myelograms will share their stories with you. Don't let my experience put you off having one because I realize that all test procedures have risks and sometimes things just happen. I am going to see another NS soon for my cervical problems and after that I hope to ask him about my lbp, tarlov cysts. I know that he may recommend a myelogram on my lumbar spine and I'll be honest with you I don't know if I'd do it. Still, if it's the only way to find out what's causing the pain what else can you do? Just try to find out all you can about the test and the risks. Good luck whatever you do.

Debbie
  • Hi and thanks.

The MRI clearly shows the cysts/growths at S2 and its either a tarlov or epidurmoid growth depending upon the md that looks at it. I am sending my MRI discs to Dr Feignenbaum in Kansas City who specializes in tarlov's for his opinion.

Couple of questions:

Isn't there any other type of newer testing that can be done other than the myelogram, as I understand they have been around for many years? See below.

Would my new (post epidural mri) have shown if I have (God for bid)arachnoiditis?

Thanks all.

Myelogram
    A myelogram (my-low-gram) is an older test that is used to examine the spinal canal and spinal cord. This test requires a special X-ray dye to be injected into your spine by a doctor. This is done by inserting a small needle in the lower back and into the spinal canal. When the myelogram is taken, the dye outlines the spinal cord and nerve roots so that disc and bone problems can be seen.

To conduct the myelogram, the patient lies on a tilting table. As the table tilts, X-rays are taken to show the flow of the dye through the spinal region, helping doctors look for problems that may be due to a herniated or bulging disc, lesions, tumors, or injury. The myelogram is often combined with a CAT scan to get a better view of the spine in cross section. In many cases, the MRI has replaced both the myelogram and the CAT scan. Sometimes the myelogram still shows the problem better than the MRI, but today it is used less frequently than the MRI.

• I had the same problem about three weeks ago due to a cevical myelogram. I believe that the Dr. that did this got into the wrong area. I told him to stop because of the horrible pain and he just kept on with the procedure. I was crying when they took me for the CT and my right arm was shaking uncontrolaby. When they took me back up to the floor to recover the nurse asked what was wrong and I told her I believed the DR. had gotten into the wrong area. That night I had a horrible spinal headache and called the nurse to tell her about it, She spoke with the DR. and he told her to have me lay down I went to sleep and woke up the next mornig with the worst pain ever when I tried to stand up and it has been this way every since the myelogram. Iam going to have a nerve conduction study on my legs. After every thing the DR. sent with his report that this procedure can cause nerve root damage. He also said in his report that there were no apparent complications if this was true why did he have to give me 100mg. of Demerol and 4mg. of Zofran sure wish I had been informed of nerve root injury. Good luck
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.