Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Neck pain caused by tight muscles

Comments

• I would strongly suggest trying to gently steer your doc into ordering an MRI. I had neck pain for 5-6 yrs & saw a chiropractor 1st when it started & he told me my muscles were all tight & it was due to stress & posture. I only saw him for a short time because of my busy work schedule. Fast forward to this January. My pain had been getting worse over the last year & massage, heat, skelaxin were not helping at all & I had some mild tingling in both arms & hands. I went to my primary care doc hoping to get an order for PT to help me get rid of the knots & tightness in my neck. She ordered an MRI "just to be safe"...results below. I was shocked that I had any spine problems. Long story short my symptoms rapidly progressed & I had surgery to prevent a very real potential for paralysis.

Just my opinion but I am so thankful my doc was proactive. I thought she was being a little dramatic when she ordered the MRI. Thank God she did. Good luck & I hope you find relief from your pain.
  • let me know if the massages really help out and get rid of the lumps.
    I had several PT's tell me to ask my Dr. about going for massages PT.
    Dr. said they will not help, my muscles are going to always be like this due to the nerve damage I have. Seems like if I try and mess with the muscle it just irritates it more. So maybe he is right in my case.

I hope you have good luck with it.:)
  • advertisement
  • If you have chronic muscle tension and/or bone pain of inexplicable origin, you may want to consider taking a vitamin D test. Recent research has shown that chronic muscle tension can be caused by a vitamin D deficiency. See vitamindcouncil.org for more info. For me, the main symptoms were chronic tension in the neck, shoulders, back and hamstrings. It took me three years before I figured out what was wrong. After I started taking an ultra high (50,000 IU/week) prescription dose of vitamin D (D3 to be exact) the symptoms gradually went away over the course of a few weeks.
  • My pain seems to be similar Peter, all my tests looking for spinal/nerve issues came back negative. My Physical Therapist today was unnerved by how tight my muscles actually are. She pushed as hard as she could on a knot near my collarbone as I breathed out, and was shocked how bad it was. When I woke up later, that caused pain that radiated down my arm, so I think I may have found one of the major points of my pain.
  • OMG I could not of put it better. I had my pain since 1996, then a car accident in 1999, and finally surgery in 2008, that is how long it took for a doc to decide it is time. now that I was facing severe danger of course, they didn't care how tight my muscles were everyday, (it's only muscle) when they saw those nerves being crushed and the canal narrowing so bad it was time. I am worse now than before surgery. i still have the xtreme muscles spasms, my neck is so tight, my shoulder blades ache constantly, and my left shoulder, and elbow are shot. I walk around the same as before surgery, except now, I can't move my neck as well with that metal in there, and I get an annoying stinging they can't explain, if i use my arms too much. acdfc4-6 10/08, pain getting worse by the day. there is not a tx I did not try. all are temporary, and of course the most painful surgery that was suppose to cure all, well, that just made it worse!!!
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.