Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please help.....Surgery for 3 Herinated Disc?

Comments

• I am sorry that you didnt get to discuss anything with your Dr. Even though you have all those problems a discogram will tell them which of the discs are the pain generators and if any of them are. It can really make a difference in what the outcome is for surgery. My Dr was only gonna do a one level fusion, but after the 2nd discogram he knew I needed to have 2 discectomy and 2 level fusion. I atill have a torn disc, but hopefully I can get by for a while. Good luck on getting another appt with the other Dr. I will be thinking of you.
  • I finally got my appt with the surgeron in April 30th but that is the earliest they can get me in. the 24th of this month I go see the urologist to see if my disc is messing with me. I also got my meds thanks to my lawyer calling the pharmacy and telling them that I needed my meds filled. The pharmay told me they only had 5 of my patches not all 10 so they wouldn't fill my script so I call my lawyer and they did give me my 5 patches and they owe me the other when they come in! Yeah for the Lawyer Thanks to him I don't have to go without my meds!!!!!! I still hurt like hell but most of the time I am in the bed trying to stay off of my feet. I fractured my tailbone on Monday trying to get to the dr office my leg gave out on me and I fell and hit the pavement hard with my butt.

See ya I got to catch some Zzzzzzzz...
  • advertisement
  • I would give you my Fentanyl patches if I could, because they did nothing for my pain. I just found out there is a shortage of the patches. What's up with that?

Praying for you.
  • Did you find out about a discogram? (not to be confused with a discectomy)

The Discogram is a diagnostic test - they go in with needles and inject fluids into your problem discs to try and locate exactly what each disc is doing.

The 'ectomy is where they go in and remove your offending disc, or parts of it - that's real surgery, not just a diagnostic. I can see that just removing your discs may not help you with all your damage in there, but the 'ogram could help the neuro pinpoint exactly what discs need fixing and how best to fix them.

p.s. I HATE tailbone fractures!!!! Good thing you've got meds!

p.p.s A 6 week wait - not bad - the local NS's here have a 6-8 month wait and there are only 3 of them!
  • dr doesn't want to do discogram he knows I have several levels mess up and he really doesn't think surgery will fix my problem but Im praying it will and I so much want to be out of pain. I have 24/7 and it doesn't stop. Yesterday, I was in so much pain I just laid in bed tossing and turning, I did get up to strecth my legs and move around some but when that sharp pain hits it back to bed I go. I forgot my mobic twice in a row and suffered dearly the next few days. I got to make another appt for my other 5 patches the pharmancy owes me. I hate going to walmart now everytime I go all the motor chairs are gone and I have to hang on the buggie fearing not to fall backwards or my legs giving out. Doc wants me to walk so he will not give me a handicap sticker so I could park up close or he want help me find a walker with a seat in it so I can walk easyier. I don't know what's wrong with him but i tell you my lawyer knows about it and he's not very happy with it at all. The lawyer told me not to worry but I do because I have to see that doc three times a month or sometimes 4 times a month for meds or just hard wrenching pain up and down my legs or if I had went to the ER like I did back on the 2nd of this month.

Gotta go Talk later if I can get sign in I'm having problems!
  • advertisement
  • I had a three-level spinal fusion in November. I feel as though I've been nailed to a board. Yes, the pain is better, but life will never be the same again. If you can get by with some microdiscectomies, you'd probably be lots better off. You normally can't get disc replacements for more than one level, and a fusion is it's own special hell to crawl out of. It took me a good three months to get half-way comfortable and I still have bad days. I don't know that they'll ever be really good.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • i had 3 herniated discs L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1 and had disectomy on all three on Jan 16. (2 months)
    I have zero pain but still have some nerve problems in calf. other than that my recovery has been great and feel like a new man
  • I try to write some stuff down for the surgeron so I won't forget. So Isteller you only spent three days in hospital? Did they get u up right after your surgery and make you walk? I have been looking up all kinds of surgeries so he want think I'm dumb about the surgery...

If only I hadn't pick up those boxes at work and bend over in a buggy I would still have my job and wouldn't be in such severe pain! But it was my job so I done it.

Talk later, I am getting stiffer sitting here at computer so I'll talk tomorrow oh I got to call in to see if they can get me either in tomorrow or Thursday I need more meds.
  • Up coming dr visit wasn't worth my time going but I did because my workers comp paid for all my meds and trip to dr office. I was told by a dr that I wouldn't be a good canidate for 3 level surgery.

My own doc told me that he would touch me with a ten foot pole. I ask him why and he tells me that I have 3 levels that need to be fix and if he fixes them then the others might need help later on.

Now, he took me off of Fentyal patch so I won't get addicted to it but I'm in such pain why would he take me off? I was giving a script for Vicdion three times a day.
    I tried it before and it didn't do any good!

I had to go too a urologist for my leaking problem and he told me that my musles weren't tight like they should be, so he put me on a patch, I asked him could it be due to my accident he said yeah it could be the disc is pressing on the nerve that tells me I gotta go. I go back to him next tuesday to see if the patch did the trick or not. He did tell me that if the patch didn't do the trick then he might need to put a hammick around my bladder to help hold it up and see if I need surgery on my back then they can fix it while they are back their and all he said.
    I feel like I may be looking at small surgery for my bladder because I'm still leaking.

Anyone else have problems like this?
    What did they do for you?

I go to the spine surgeron April 30th finally! I pray he says I can have my surgery and take my pain away, I can live with some but not severe all the time 24/7 I can't sleep at night anymore due to waking up with back pinched and legs pains. I have been getting lots of headaches this past year I have noticed!

Misty
  • I drove 70 miles up to Atlanta and was told that Workers Comp wasn't going to pay for another dr appt. Due to it being a one-time consult. They should have told me that when I left from my other appt with then back in March!

Does anyone else have problems with their incontenience or how ever you spell it?

My court date was delayed again by the other party and my lawyer because they want to hear from my surgeron on the 30th of this month. Life sucks!! Wish everything would go back to normal like it was before the accident at work. Then maybe I would still be a my old work place, where I had good insurance somewhat good pay but I was due for another vacation, and personal days to be taken and I lost them all when they told me to leave. Well i gotta go talk some meds and lay down.
advertisement