Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L4-L5 L5-S1 FUSION

advertisement

Comments

• You'll get there Claudia, keep me updated on your status. Thos complications sound painful :|

Are you using a bone growth stimulator?

Ive been very lucky and hope the luck continues. Back surgery has always been so iffy for me, was a giant leap of trust that I had it done, (trusting my surgeon with the rest of my life basically) and it paid off for me.
  • I am 7 months post op for a L4-L5 / L5-S1 fusion.

I think I have done remarkably well post surgery. That said; it's not an easy road.

If you are on a LOT of pain meds already, be prepared, it seems that if you have a tolerance built up you don't get the full effects of the meds post surgery - meaning you are probably in for lots of post-op pain. My nurses told me that a fusion is probably the second most painful surgery there is - second only to open heart.

I, like Jakotsu, took very little/needed very little, pain medication and was able to drive and get around fairly early on.

I did not go back to work for just over 5 months and I have a job that only requires lifting a max of 45lbs. I am still on restrictions - max of 25lbs, no bending or twisting allowed.

Some days are tough.

But, no more radiating pain! No more agonizing blinding shooting pains at all! Now I just have aches & cramps - I can handle aches and cramps. I was in so much pain before that I was willing to risk life in a wheelchair.

It's a personal decision, do your homework, go in with your eyes open and do everything your dr. tells you - exactly. It's the rest of your life you are playing with after all.

Good Luck
  • advertisement
  • Hi, yes i am useing a bone stim, i keep tis on for 4 hours under my back brace, but you see i have no patience but working on it Nurse said i can go start walking in the pool just walking she so concerned of me falling but i will use better judgement, i think i will start that next week, also in 6 weeks i start therapy, yeah cannot wait, want to get on with my life i miss the gym esp the treadmill, taking my time, thank you so much