Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Scar tissue

Comments

• Hi guys, it seems like you have a lot of experience in the pain world. I've been having increasing problems over the past 6 months and was hoping to get some input.

In May to July of last year I started to notice some testicular and buttock sensations. Nothing painful, but it made sitting uncomfortable. However, after standing for about 2 hours (teaching a class) I felt an odd sensation on the inside of my left thigh. It was quick and I actually thought that I had slightly urinated on myself.

Now, I should point out that I've always been one of those people that can't really sit still - I've been told by a friend with that program that I have restless leg syndrome. But, that thigh sensation was new.

I got around to seeing a neuro in early august; he ordered up an MRI; and sent me off to get it. In the meantime, he told me to do 8-9 exercises religiously. They were a lot of yoga moves. Despite being obese I had no problem doing these - I am quite flexible.

Within a week I was in intense pain especially around the mid-back/ribs. There was a lot of cracking and popping there as well as non-stop muscle movements.

The lumbar mri showed a 3mm protrusion in L5/s1 with inferior extrusion of material. And, thickend ligamentum flavum at L3/4

The mid-back was were the pain was at; still had the buttock and scrotal sensations.

I started PT. Over the next month the thoracic started to get better. I had been given muscle relaxants and opiates but tried to stay away as I don't like medication.

I forced myself to walk and did so anywhere from 1-3miles every other day.

One day, after putting myself through a department bbq where I was standing for about 3 hours socializing. I went to the gym after a rest and started on the treadmill.

About a mile in, my left foot spasmed. The pain seemed to be coming diagonal in my foot (from the big toe area to the back right heel). I went home,took it easy.

And didn't really notice it much anymore. Two days later I was sitting down (w/ good posture) and it happened again. I walked it off.

This was early september. By the end of september I started to feel pain in my right leg/foot. I tried doing everything right. I was still having axial pain in my thoracic - still some crunching/popping. And got my neuro to order a thraic mri. It shown slight bulges T3/4 T6/7 and a "smal" central protrusion at T7/8. Osteophyte complexes at each of these levels. Anyhow, thoracic is another story (hope it's not causing leg pain though it's possible).

My concerns are:
    (1) My leg pain doesn't match dermatome maps. Last week I got another leg mri and I expected it to show multiple herniations. Instead, it just shows that there was a "new" buldge of material on to the left and the central protrusion had more extruded material.
    (2) Usually, instead of "actual burning pain" in my feet (this is usually reserved for my buttocks, outer hips, inner knee) the toes inbetween my big and pinky toes get ridiculously cold, sometimes like a "cool burning". This worries me as people just complain of searing pain.
    (3) Since around late sept, I also noticed marble-like areas in my low-back, within the l4/5 areas. My PT tells me that these are pockets of inflammation. My concern with this is primarily with Arachnoiditis.

I have not previously had back-surgery (only ever had a endo- appendectomy) but recently heard that this can develop due to chronic inflammation compression of nerves.

Do any of you have advice/opinions on my concerns?

Thanks in advance!
  • You're symptoms seem to be all over the place. I have Adhesive Arachnoiditis and my symptoms are pretty consistent all of the time. The damaged nerves in my back map closely to a dermatome map. You say you've had an MRI. AA will show in an MRI as lesions in the spinal cord or exiting nerve roots unless its in its early stages, then all you'll have is inflammation of the arachnoid layer. My suggestion would be to not wonder whether you do or do not have the problem. Set the gloom and doom thoughts aside until you've had the opportunity to sit down and discuss this with your doctor.

Dave
  • advertisement
  • Smiles4454SSmiles4454 Posts: 6
    edited 10/23/2012 - 3:06 PM
    Hi, I had a fusion in 2004 at L5S1 with the titanium rods and screws. After surgery I got my life back and was feeling better than ever. About a year and a half ago, I was in a car accident where I was at a stop light and the car behind me did not stop and hit me going about 40-45mph. I have since had a problem walking, sitting or standing for any length of time before I am in so much pain. My legs go numb and the best way I can describe it is that they (my legs) are rotting from my body. I know that sounds horrible but when the pain is bad that is what it feels like. I do have some days that are better than others but as soon as I try doing something the pain returns.

I am only 44 years old and this has changed my life completely! I have lost my job, have no social life, and will probably end up filling bankruptcy as the accident happen on the day I was moving into the house I just bought!!! To make matters worse I lost my 3 year old pomeranian in the accident also. :(

Anyway, after several MRIs and other tests the Drs could not really tell me what was causing my problem they just wanted to throw drugs my way and I think they hoped I would go away. I forced the issue and had to do my own research and found that a stand up MRI could give different results. So, I told my Dr that I wanted to do this and the results came back and he told me that the car accident must have jarred the scar tissue and now it is hitting the spinal column and narrowing it?

My question is, has anyone tried an inversion table? I was reading that after use some people say their scar tissue has disappeared? I just want my life back and am willing to try anything at this point!! I should also mention that because I lost my job I have no health insurance! I have applied for SSDI but so far I have been denied...I am on my 3rd attempt. :( Any help would be great!

Thank you.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    edited 10/26/2012 - 1:06 PM
    Long time, no log on for me. I've had a lot going on. And it ain't good.
    I think I may be having something similar happening to me. All I know is it's sucking the life out of me!
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.