Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back Surgery

Comments

• I am not sure which procedure you had, but I have never heard of removing a disc if you only had a Lamenectomy. Had 2 of them before this fusion. My doctor told me that he could have only done a Lam., and the pressure would have been gone, but there was enough fluid left in the disc to cause the problem again. I understand the procedure of a Lam. is to go in and remove what has come out of the disc to relieve the pressure on the nerves. I was also told the longer you wait after finding the problem, the harder the procedure is. My doctor told me that the fluid had the consistance of chewing gum. When it first happens, it is the consistance of gum right out of your mouth. The longer you wait, it is the same thing as putting gum on a counter, and coming back an hour later and feeling it. It you wait too long, they have to go in and chip it out.
  • I am still on a learning curve about the biology and physiology of the back and all its components. The analogy of the chewing gum really explains the stuff out of a ruptured disc clearly. You have a great dr.
  • advertisement
  • I was told I will be able to run again, but to wait until I'm 100% fused. I was running 36 miles a week and I've raced in a few triathlons. However, I do not plan on racing in anymore triathlons.

I would wait until the full 9 months before running again if that is what the doctor advised.