Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain Pump....vs Oral Meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
I’m going in soon for a morph pain pump trial implant. The pump is my only option because a SCS couldn’t be installed. Adhesions prevented correct wire lead position. My PM Doc said that once the pump is started then I will be taken off all my oral meds, immediately. He told me it is usually a ‘one for one’ trade. In other words I won’t have any drug ‘with-drawl’ symptoms. Is that true? Has anyone had drug with-drawls when switching to a morphine pump? What other side affects has anybody suffered? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
<):)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi' I also had nerve stiluter trial that has failed' then my first trial of the morphine pump trial turned in to the worse thing ever, because where they tap in to the spinal fluid i guess you can have leakage ,which was causing me the worse head ace of my life, and i could not even get up to go to the bathroom and move for 7 days during my trial.I could not wait for them just to remove it out of me because it was causing me such a problem. I was realy looking foreward to finaly receiving thi stupid pump. but thats not what i expected. I was never told that this could hapen so i am just telling you it hapened to me about 6 months ago. I hope it works out beter for you ' good luck' Alex
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I don't know if this story will help. My son's girlfriends mother had back injury from getting hit with a hospital gurney (sp?) at work and was in pain for several years. They tried SCS and it did not work as it was all back pain. So they went for a pump.
    She had it installed and it leaked, so they removed it and placed it elsewhere somehow after it healed up.

On the second go around she had an infection and had two or three surgeries. She was hospitalized for several weeks before the got it working. Then she had to do inpatient rehab.

I don't know the specifics of what all was done, but I do know that even after several failed attempts and infections etc, she is now doing well with a pump installed, so if at first you don't succeed. Make sure you can't try again before you surrender.

I'm on day 5 of my 7 day SCS trial, so far it is good!
    I'm not looking forward to it being removed!
  • advertisement
  • Alex, thank you for your reply. It's greatly appreciated. When you first started on the pain pump did you have any with-drawl systems when they stopped your oral meds? I was told the hospital will stop my oral meds immediately when the pain pump is started. I'm just a little concerned about that....I've been through with-drawls before when comming off fentinal patches (25mg/hr) a few years ago. They were the worst days of my life, and I mean that. My PM Doc was 80 miles away, it was over a weekend, and I didn't even know about the 12.5mg/hr patches that could have allowed me to have another lessor step down. The Doc didn't even tell me about those patches. It was just a great big drop down to nothing. I hurt so bad that I ended up in the emergency room. They gave me a shot of morphine in my back due to help with the rebound pain. So I really don't want to go through any big with-drawls if it can be helped.
    Anyway, again thank you for your reply.
    rancherbill <):)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,265
    go back to 1980s and early 1990s. In both cases, the patient had multiple problems.
    1- Leaking
    2- Running out before the time was due
    3- Infections

Both led to implant removals. One was an 75 year old man (my father) and the other a 32 year old woman (friend)

Now, I am sure these pump implants have come a long way since then, but one thing I still here is to make sure it is refilled before it runs out completely.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I HAVE HAD 11 LUMBAR SURGERIES AND 3 CERVICAL SURGERIES SINCE 1985.AFTER TAKING ABOUT ALL THE PAIN MEDS AVAILABLE,I SOUGHT OUT THE PAIN PUMP.IT HAD GOTTEN TO THE POINT TAH NO MATTER THE DOSAGE OF THE ORAL MEDS,I HAD NO RELIEF.
    I HAD THE TRIAL PUMP PUT IN WED. MORNING AND TODAY IS FRI.,I CAN TELL YOU ONE THING FOR SURE.THERE IS NO MORE WATCHING THE CLOCK TO SEE WHEN I CAN SAFELY TAKE MORE ORAL MEDS.I HAVE HAD NO WITHDRAWAL EITHER.I DO HAVE TO TAKE SOME ORAL MEDS,BUT NO WHERE WHAT I WAS TAKING BEFORE.I HAVE BEEN BACK TO HAVE THE PUMP BUMPED UP ONCE SO FAR.THE NURSE TOLD ME TO COME BACK MON. IF IT NEEDED TO BE A HIGHER DOSE.SO FAR I AM IN ALMOST TOTAL RELIEF.I FEEL LIKE A NEW MAN.AFTER ALL THESE YRS.
    MY ADVICE TO ANYONE THINKING ABOUT THE MORPHINE PUMP,GO FOR IT.IT IS A HASSLE NOT BEING ABLE TO SHOWER DAILY,BUT I CAN LIVE WITH THIS.MY ONLY DOUBT IS AFTER THE TRIAL PERIOD,WILL I BE IN AGONY UNTIL THE ACTUAL PERMANENT PUMP IS PUT IN.SEEMS TO ME AFTER BEING ON MORPHINE FOR 7-10 DAYS IT WOULD BE FUTILE TO GO BACK TO ORAL MEDS FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.WELL ONLY TIME WILL TELL.I DO NOT KNOW HOW LONG I WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE PERMENENT PUMP IS PUT IN.
    GOOD LUCK AND GET THE PUMP,IF ITS RIGHT FOR YOU.
  • advertisement
advertisement