Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Has anyone tried a walker for their walks?

charryccharry Posts: 5,647
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
I know some people get a walker after surgery. But what about before surgery? I have trouble walking so I use my cane but I can't even walk past more than 5 houses or more than 100 ft. Does anyone use a walker for walking? I think I maybe able to go farther around the block. Just wondering. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement

Comments

• I didn't have a walker until after surgery and even then it wasn't for very long. It definitely helped after surgery. But it would get stuck in every little crack on the sidewalk. Fine rocks (ice melt in my case) would jam the wheels. And I had to lift it when I encountered the strips between rooms.

I would try it. Maybe you can rent one before buying one. Not sure how much they are since mine was through insurance. Not sure if you'd have to pay out of pocket or if you insurance will cover it.

Good luck!
  • I also used it since the first surgery. On good days, I will use the cane, or none at all. On bad days, I used the walker, and yes, it hit every nouch on the tar road, the PT that come to the house, took 2 tennis balls from her car, cut and X and placed behind the back wheels. It did help for a while, but those balls came coming off. It wasn't a good fit, she cut the X way too big. A neighbor's son helped me cut new balls just right, and it hasn't come off since. He also changed the wheels to slightly bigger ones. Now that thing is smooth to go.
  • advertisement
  • charry said:
    I know some people get a walker after surgery. But what about before surgery? I have trouble walking so I use my cane but I can't even walk past more than 5 houses or more than 100 ft. Does anyone use a walker for walking? I think I maybe able to go farther around the block. Just wondering. Charry
    Charry,
    CHECK WITH YOUR DR.,BUT I HAVE FOUND A WALKER TO BE A GREAT HELP BOTH BEFORE SURGERY AND AFTERWARDS.GOOD LUCK
    Schmertz
  • Before you go spending money on a walker (or having it billed to your insurance), check out the thrift stores. The thrift store up the road from me ALWAYS has a stack of walkers in the back and they sell them for about $1-3 each, depending on whether they're the wheeled kind or the regular ones.
  • You could check your local freecycle for a walker that somebody wants to get rid of or craigslist in your area for an inexpensive one too.
  • advertisement
  • I would loan you my walker. I'm running on very slow thinking lately. BTW, I live in Maryland. Just in case.
  • I travel with my walker and cain every where I go, I use each one according to the condition I am in. mine was afforded to me due to the VA, It comes with big wheels and breaks plus a seat to sit as I get tired in line. also have a basket while I do small shopping. Dan
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.