Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Rheumatoid arthritis cause back problems?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
Hi Everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has heard of rheumatoid arthritis causing back problems? I have RA and herniated my L5-S1 disc twice now with 2 surgeries. Post op 2 weeks now from second surgery. I've never had any problems before and found out I have RA about a year and a 1/2 ago. On lots of meds and its controlled now. Does anyone on here have RA and experienced any problems with their back?

Thanks so much,

Kelly
advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    Hey Kelly,
    Yes RA can be the cause of your spinal symptoms. I have severe osteoarthritis
    and it is indeed the root of my spinal degeneration. I have symptoms that are
    associated with RA but my "R" factor in my blood tests has not been high enough to determine I have RA. I have had two spinal surgeries and at this time I will have a minimum of two more in the near future. Just trying to put
    that off further down the road and not cause further permanent damage.
    Hope I could help answer your question, let me know if I can be any further help.
    Take care,
    Ranger
  • My Rheumatologist said that RA does not usually present itself in the spine, although it can happen. I asked him if my "severe facet arthropathy" in the L5 area was related to anything that he treats and he said no.

Klynn and Ranger - are either one of you on prednisone? Just curious. I'm taking it for a "connective tissue disease" that my Rheumatologist treats.
  • advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    Hey Pepper,
    That is interesting Pepper, thanks for posting that. I am not on Prednisone
    and presently I'm not taking anything except Glucosamine/Chondroitin and
    Omega-3 fish oil. I was on some NSAID's for several years but then for some
    strange reason my liver enzymes went out of whack and I discontinued those
    meds. I was also on neurontin for a while but the side effects were affecting
    short term memory loss and making me very drowsy.
    I do have a brother-in-law on Methotrexate for RA with good results.
    Ranger
  • Thank you both for your replies! Pepper I was on medrol for many months which I'm told can cause hairline fractures in your spine , and cause lots of problems the longer your on steroids...that was one thing the dr looked at before another dr found out I herniated my disc. I am also on hydroxychloroquine and meloxicam . Stopped the medrol. I've always been Healthy and no problems until last yr when Diagnosed with RA so to have a herniated disc at my age seems strange and makes me wonder if it is related.
  • Thank you both for your replies! Pepper I was on medrol for many months which I'm told can cause hairline fractures in your spine , and cause lots of problems the longer your on steroids...that was one thing the dr looked at before another dr found out I herniated my disc. I am also on hydroxychloroquine and meloxicam . Stopped the medrol. I've always been Healthy and no problems until last yr when Diagnosed with RA so to have a herniated disc at my age seems strange and makes me wonder if it is related.
  • advertisement
  • Just wondering because you said at your age it seems strange to have a herniated disc.
  • sorry about all the prednisone posts! I'm trying to do this from my Cell phone and didn't think it posted!
  • I'm 34. I didn't have any fall that caused the herniation and do office work so thought it was strange.
advertisement