Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

More surgery?is it worth it

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
I already have fusion at L3/4, have a SCS on a multitude of narcotics and now looking at fusing from L4 to S1 to try to eliminate the need for all the drugs and to relieve the pain that just wont go away. Any thoughts>>???



  • I feel somewhat dissapointed, Im new to this forum and have yet to get one response, did I now word my question right? Have there been to many similar questions that I did not research??

    Just some thoughts.
  • You're the only one that can make the decision as to whether more surgery is worth it or not. For you to be facing one surgery that can potentially solve all of your pain issues and get rid of the need for all drugs, seems highly unrealistic. In light of that I can see why others may be uncomfortable posting to your inquiry.

    If you trust your surgeons, trust yourself and trust the evidence presented to you, then your decision should be fairly easy.

  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349
    days for posts to hit other members. Then there are posts that provide all the details and so responding is easier.
    I looked at yours and honestly, I had a difficult time coming up with any response.
    The more details you provide, how long you have been dealing with this, what kind of medication you are on, what treatments you have been going to, etc.. make having a response so much more meaningful.
    For now, based on what you posted, I am with "C", the decision for more surgery is always up to you
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • What has the surgeon told you regarding your prognosis? When you have a second surgery, you face more issues with scar tissue and it usually becomes more of a problem with each subsequent surgery. Be sure you have a serious talk with your doctor and see what chances he realistically thinks you have of improving your pain levels.

    It is a big decision.
  • That`s a big decision to make. How long have you had that problem did you have a fusion or laminectomy before. Sometimes it`s necessary to stabilize the spine with fusion and maybe get the instrumentation removed in the future. I haven`t had surgery so I only know what I hear others saying. They refuse to do surgery on me so I`m going for a 3rd opinion from a NeuroSurgeon. Try to get another Neuro or Ortho Dr opinion so it`s more clear what they need to do to resolve your pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • I think I got started out on the wrong foot, was having a pretty bad day yesterday and took it out on the wrong folks and forum. Please accept my most humble apologies. Ill be better in the future.
  • I'm sure no one took offense. I didn't reply when I first read your post because I did not really have a response. You posed a question that is very difficult to answer!

    You will find that people are very friendly on this forum and really do support one another. Sometimes it helps if there are a few more details supplied, rather than a very broad question as people don't really know where to start.

    Sorry you felt you were being ignored. We will all do better in the future.

    xx Gwennie
  • Since you didn't answer my question, I will try again.

    What has this surgeon told you about the prognosis or the outcome of this second surgery? Is he optimistic that it will take care of at least some of the pain and the need for medications?

    Will they take out the SCS prior to doing surgery?
  • my thought are .i think that you will always require some level of daily pain control .as back pain seams to have the medical world flummoxed .its seems to be a none terminal pain that required the sort of medication that most terminal patients are on .so trying to get away with out taking medication on the hope that another operation will cure you ..i am sorry but i dont think that it will happen
  • I can only assume they would remove the scs first, didnt ask, something impotant that I missed. There is about a 50/50 chance of less pain and about a 40% chance it would rid me of at least the heavy narcotics.

    I would hope they leave the scs just in case the leg pain doesnt go away as much as hoped.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.