Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

PAINFUL DDD, 35 years old, Dr. says no to fusion.

advertisement

Comments

• I am somewhat like you...I compression fractured my lumbar vertebrates about 10 years ago. I am now suffering with DDD, still loose bone fragments, and the apparently "new" osteoarthritis is making bulging disks, herniate. S1 absolutely does not move. I am also a recent widow with 3 children...and I am so devoted to finding any way possible to improve what I have. I would like to hear from others like us, because it really is hard to have THIS back and try to keep up. Expectations people have of you at this age are very high...they look at me like I am nuts...then see the latest MRI and they are truly shocked. I have seen MRIs of people much older and they look sooo much better than mine. I do not feel sorry for myself and I don't live off pain meds...but I understand feeling under pressure to "perform" and you can't.
  • im not exactly the same case, but i have DDD at t9-10 & t10-11 and they wont do fusions either. on that note, im barely 20 years old. diagnosed at 19, and the first dr. i went to said no dr. would even give me an injection, much less a fusion. i am in extreme pain all day every day with absolutely no relief ever. i have had 3 injections, none of which helped even for a day. age for some reason is a big factor. which i dont understand AT ALL. might as well do it when we're young and can bounce back and BEFORE we become immobile from pain. there are already days where i cannot move without excrutiating pain and tears, and im 20. dr.s are nuts.
  • advertisement
  • I echo the other posts who suggest you should fire this doctor and seek another opinion.
  • Interesting that your doctor will not perform a fusion because he feels you're too young.

My first fusion was at the tender age of 13. I had a multi-level fusion and the insertion of a Harrington rod as treatment for scoliosis.
  • I am 56 years old and am suffering from severe DDD pain. My 3 discs are moderately DDD and are bulging. I'm in terrible pain most of the day. It started a year ago and the pain is getting progressively worse. I've tried a series of epidurals, PT, water therapy, acupunctor, and a chiroprator and nothing has worked. I've had a couple opinions from orthopedic doctors, and they don't recommend surgery. Doctors will not operate on DDD. Maybe because of the previous surgeries have failed with DDD.
    I can certainly empathize with you. I am rcurrently using a TENS unit, that was recommmended by my chiroparator. The TENS unit helps certain types of pain. They're portable and easy to use. Techology is getting better with new procedures for back pain. I just wish they would hurry up!
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.