Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

But I don't wanna have a DISCOGRAM

Comments

• Thanks for the link on that disc filler by Dascor. It is interesting. Should warrant its own topic. Think I might just go post it.
  • I hope it will work out for me- a little scary after you read all the worst case scenerios! Let's hope that the majority of people have positive outcomes and are too busy living their lives to bother writing on pain forums! My Dr. is in NY (Official Buffalo Bills Guy's partner is doing it). Now if I can get Blue Cross to foot the bill! Best of luck to you!
    Joni
  • advertisement
  • I wish ADR was more accepted and widely used because I think it is better than Fusion alone. I may still have to do it (ADR) after this surgery and I am fine with that. Micro-d's seem to just lead to other surgeries because the annulus really has a hard time healing enough to take on the back load over time and that sucks. You end up walking around like a time bomb unfortunately.

• Hi,

I am pretty new to this group, and haven't posted much. I have had ESI's and they hit the nerve every time. I hated them, and they didn't help much. I had the discogram done in May and a CT after and it wasn't that bad. The test it's self was painful, more than the ESI's. But I felt fine a few hours after the test.

By evening I was in no pain, I know have good pain meds. But that's the reason that we have them. I say go for it, they gave me meds in the room to make me comfortable I was in quite a bit of pain through the CT. It was hard to move from table to table, but after that me & my surgeon where able to come to a decision.

I am having a 360 w/ infusion on L4-S1 on June 17th. I am not looking forward to the pain and recovery, but I am hoping that this will help the pain in my back. I want to get out and play with my kids again.

So, in the end it will be up to you. This is one of the best tests to find out what is really going on in your back. Then you can make the choice's you need to make. I don't know if this is helping you, but it helps me when I am able to talk to someone about all that I am going through, knowing that they are going through the same thing.

Hope you find what you are looking for....

Deb
  • that you don't need a discogram and also glad to hear that they are going to look at going in there and getting you some relief. You've suffered too much post surgery.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • I was almost in a panic state when they callled me in to have my discogram. They put in a IV and gave me a mild setative. When I went in the room, I layed on my left side/stomach while they cleaned my back with iodine. When the doc started to insert the needles it was uncomfortable but not unbarable. When she injected the dye I had a lot of pain that shot down both legs. After rating my pain she immediately injected pain med straight into the disc before removing the needle. She continued to do so on two other levels. Once the needles where out I really didn't have a lot of pain. I was sore for the next few days but they found out how bad the discs were and that surgery was my only option. It does depend a lot on who is doing the procedure, I had one of the best in NY. It wasn't as bad as I thought, only took about 20 minutes once in the room.Hope this helps.

39 yr. old mother of 5 Children, 20,19,14,14,9
    Lumbar strains: 1995, 1997, 1998

Major injury: 2002, 2 herniated disc w/tears, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Major nerve damage in both legs.

Treatments included: Celebrex, Bextra, Ralaphin, Flexril, Naproxin, Motrin, Ultram, Steroid injections, Nerve Blocks, Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, specific exercise regimen, loss of 70 lbs.

Surgery: May 2009 ALIF of L5-S1 with titanium cage and 4 screws, no bone,Pro-Disc at L4-L5

Current Meds: Vicadin 5mg/500, daily aspirin, calcium supplement, senicot, bone growth stimulator

• Greetings - Can you tell me more about the bone growth stimulator? I had surgery similar to yours (except I had 2 Pro-Discs ADR's inserted at the L3/L4 and L4/L5, but was not given any bone growth stimulator. I'm curious about what this is, how you get it, what it's actually called, and for how long you take it. Am also wondering how your pain is, now that your surgeries are over. I remain with intractable pain, and am at the "end of the road" in terms of what else can be offered to me other than a spinal cord stimulator for pain at this point. A reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    newhouse17 said:
    I was almost in a panic state when they callled me in to have my discogram. They put in a IV and gave me a mild setative. When I went in the room, I layed on my left side/stomach while they cleaned my back with iodine. When the doc started to insert the needles it was uncomfortable but not unbarable. When she injected the dye I had a lot of pain that shot down both legs. After rating my pain she immediately injected pain med straight into the disc before removing the needle. She continued to do so on two other levels. Once the needles where out I really didn't have a lot of pain. I was sore for the next few days but they found out how bad the discs were and that surgery was my only option. It does depend a lot on who is doing the procedure, I had one of the best in NY. It wasn't as bad as I thought, only took about 20 minutes once in the room.Hope this helps.

39 yr. old mother of 5 Children, 20,19,14,14,9
    Lumbar strains: 1995, 1997, 1998

Major injury: 2002, 2 herniated disc w/tears, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Major nerve damage in both legs.

Treatments included: Celebrex, Bextra, Ralaphin, Flexril, Naproxin, Motrin, Ultram, Steroid injections, Nerve Blocks, Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, specific exercise regimen, loss of 70 lbs.

Surgery: May 2009 ALIF of L5-S1 with titanium cage and 4 screws, no bone,Pro-Disc at L4-L5

Current Meds: Vicadin 5mg/500, daily aspirin, calcium supplement, senicot, bone growth stimulator

• Bone growth stimulators are for fusions. You had artificial disc replacement, so you don't want bone growing between your vertebrae. You want to remain flexible.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • y'all should good sengupta + lunbar . . there you will see a report about dynamic stabilization. Dr. Sengupt is a surgeon who developed this new soft stabilization system. he is also happens to be the surgeon who performed my surgery. i had it done March 25th of 09 @ Dartmouth Med Center in New Hampshire.
    i am basically pain-free. little stiffness now and again, but nothing major.
    i am back coaching/umping baseball. i went back to work full-time @ the 4 week mark. no restrictions.
    i was the 1st recipient to receive this system @ Dartmouth, as the FDA just approved it in the US in Feb.
    Dr. Sengupta had done these surgeries in India prior to coming to Dartmouth.
    i had 2 disks fused and 2 support systems installed up my vertabrae w/6 pedicle screws holding them in place. i have more flexibility than i have in about 10 yrs.
    i highly recommend it. feel free to PM me if you would like more info.
    good luck
  • sorry - 1st sentence should read google .
advertisement