Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New To Pain Forum. Need Support.

Rebel YellRRebel Yell Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello this is Rebel yell im new to this post im goin to N.S. july 11th for surgey date. Im having an L4, L5,S1 spinal Fusion.. scared to DEATH! I have 2 wonderful Children (20 and 17) been married for 24 yrs to a wonderful man!

Been in pain for 2yrs.. meds are: Hydrocodone Soma,Paxil, Zanax, Mobic.

Does any body have anything they could sayto help me?

Thanks. :H
advertisement

Comments

• everyone gets scared to death about surgery especially if it's no. 1. it's easy to say relax and everything will be ok. When i'm going in for surgery i say to myself easy does it youre going in for a nice rest. hopefully pain will ease after the surgery. in the mean time call your best friends, talk awhile, stay kind of busy and LOOK FORWARD to a bit of rest!!! :-C :-C :-C
    this web site can be a great distraction and source of knowledge so when youre finished give us a call and tell us how it went. Message me anytime with questions. i've been thru 6 spine surgeries.
    i'll be rooting for you!!!
    pete
  • xxx best wishes....
  • advertisement
  • There's a post op surgery list in this section you may find useful. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello and welcome! We all get scared before any surgery, but you don't realize how much until you actually face it. Remember we are all here for you, and you can always come here to vent and cry, or (even better) tell us how great you are doing! Don't forget to check out the stickies for the Post-op must haves that Charry mentioned above. I especially recommend the toilet seat and grabber, and my own pick: soap on a rope. (you don't realize how much you drop things until you can't pick them up, and soap is SO slippery! =)) )

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, and hope you will visit often to let us know how you are doing! :-C

>:D<
  • I had my first PLIF in Dec of last year. Lot of good information here. Look at the one that tells you what to have for post surgery, It helped me get ready and has alot of good advice to get prepared. Things you dont really think about. I had pain for 2 and half years before mine, so I know how you feel. Your family can be a great help to you. Dont be scared, but be prepared for a fairly long recovery. Everyone gets told you will be good in three months. Myabe, maybe not. I am six months and my Dr told me six months to a year or better. So dont be disappointed. It takes time. And if you can, rent a hospital bed. They are great for recovery. I got mine prior to surgery cause I couldnt lay in a regular bed. It is great after surgery cause you have bars to help you turn, and that is something that is hard to do alone. Ahh I am wrambling on. PM me and I can give u some tips on stuff for hospital and after. Dont be scared. Think about how great it will be to get some releif from pain. Heres a hug! >:D< Robin
  • advertisement
  • iv read all i can get my hands on and online thank you so much every body ill be glad to get it over with and get my life back will there be alot of pain when i wake up how intence will it be i keep telling myself its going to be ok but i dont sleep well and i am panicy my girls are ready for me to go canoeing and camping with them and theredad im getting a hospital bed and a nurse for awile ins is taking care of it for me i just want to do what im suppose to and have a good recovery im sure ill be needing all the support from all you spineys lol thanks again renee :SS
  • I am in the same situation. Waiting for fusion surgery next week.

I went through the tips for post surgery posts, and have purchased most of the things recommended there. Lots of good information for you!

My fusion will be my 3rd surgery, hopefully my last.

I have been scared to death, going back and forth, weighing pros and cons. I finally realized (today) that it is happening next week, and for some reason a calm and resolve came over me and I know I am doing the right thing. I am no longer questioning it.

Everyone told me it is natural to debate the surgery, it is major surgery after all.

There are so many helpful people here who have all been through it, or are going to go through it.

Welcome!
  • Welcome to SH :H I understand how you feel about this because I had a 2 level fusion on the same levels you're having problems with.

I would say that in the best cirmcumstance, that you may recover completely by 6 months. This is if everything goes well with no complication, and your back and nerves heal like they are supposed to, in my opinion. Nerves can take up to 2 years to completely heal.

The surgeon hopes that you will have good improvement by 12 weeks. I am personally weary of anybody that says you will be back at work at 2 weeks or completely healed by 6 weeks. It depends on the person, and no two people are alike, or will have the same outcome if they have the same surgery. It also depends on the extent of the nerve compression and how long it's been that way.

If you wait too long, you do risk permanent nerve damage. Only your doctor can assess your risk. You should prepare yourself because this is major surgery and you need to learn everything that is involved. Research all you can about your condition and learn about back anatomy and how it's supposed to work.

Recovery also involves going to PT and following all your doctor's recommendations. It is a slow process and you may experience residual pain and occassional pain flares. You will need to have plenty of help the first few weeks home. Stock up with food ahead of time, and get easy to prepare meals or like Lean Cuisines.

The hospital will probably send you home with a walker, raised toiletseat, and shower seat. You will also need a grabber, extra pillows, food tray, or a comfortable mattress if possible. Arrange for entertainment because you will get bored too ;) , like movies, music, books, etc.

Your doctor might let you drive at short distances at around 2 weeks post op. Take baby steps with that, you don't want to get stranded somewhere because you're in too much pain to come home. This also goes with walking. It will be a very important regiment in your recovery. Your doctor will let you know how much he wants you to do.

I forgot to mention that you may need a cane after you don't need the walker anymore. You will need somebody to help you bathe for a couple weeks too. My husband helped me with showering because the last thing anyone wants is for you to have a fall. That is a BIG no-no.

You should avoid bending, twisting, and lifting until your doctor lifts those restrictions. The best way to lay in bed is on your side with a pillow between your legs. This way you can put an ice pack up against your back with a pillow up against it too. I found that the soft pressure of a pillow against my back this way was comforting.

Remember to take all your meds on time, you don't want the pain to spike out of control. Your doctor may have you on a PCA machine which dispenses a safe amount of morphine with a touch of a button while you're at the hospital. It's better than a nurse coming to inject you over again. I prefer not to be a human pin cushion.

Your body will feel wore out after a fusion. You'll notice that you are drowsy, sleepy, and have low stamina- this is normal and can last a few weeks. It will take time to rebuild your strength.

Well, this is all I can think of telling you, and it comes from my own experiences. Best wishes on your fusion and I hope you recover successfully. Take care
  • YOU GUYS ARE SO NICE I SHOULD HAVE FOUND YOU EARLIER WHEN I HAD MY MRI I CRIED FOR DAYS IHOPE I CAN FINDPEACE I SUE HAVE PRAYEDALOT AM I CRAZY TO WANT THIS DONEASAP AND SORTA LOOKING FOWARD TO IT THEN AT OTHERTIMES DONT WANT IT I HAVE ALREADY LOOKED AT THE LIST HAVE ABAG AND BUYING STUFF TO GO IN IT SO AREMY FRIENDS THEY AREALL SO SUPPORTIVE I HAVE ACRAZY BUT VERY IMPORTANT ? HOW DO YOU WIPE YOUR BACKSIDE WE HAVE ALL HAD AGOOD LAUGH ABOUT THIS VERY CRAZY SUGG FROM FRIENDS FELLIN BETTER ALREADY REBEL RENEE
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

The only suggestion I have that hasn't yet been mentioned here is to talk to your surgeon about how nervous you are and he might give you some anti-anxiety medications to help get you through to surgery.

I talked with mine a few weeks before and told him how nervous I was and, although I didn't ask, he offered to give me a prescription for Xanax. That really helped.

Take care and keep us updated.
    Cath
advertisement