Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial


In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

4 days post op: ACDF C5-6/PCFL C4-7

allicat623aallicat623 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all....

I'm home after my surgery Tuesday.

I had to be at the hospital at 8:30 am, but then they said surgery wasn't scheduled until noon. They took me back for pre-op around 1, but it wasn't until about 4 that they actually brought me into the OR.

I was really okay with that, though, because my hubby had a major presentation at work to members of Congress and he couldn't come until around 1:30 (my mom brought me in)....so they let him come back and see me, so I was thrilled!

Anyway, surgery didn't end until around 11:30 pm. NS told my husband that in some areas the disc was completely worn away and it was bone on bone. I had an ACDF done on C5-6 with brace in front; then in back I had laminectomy with rods and screws put it from C4-7. I had C4-5 previously fused 15 years ago without any instrumentation.

At some point though I vaguely remember waking up and saying ...not sure if it was out loud or in my head ... that I couldn't breathe. My throat had swollen so much I couldn't breathe, so they had to intubate me (put in a breathing tube) overnight. I had to stay in SICU for two days.....one day was to watch for additional swelling. The other night because there weren't any other rooms available.

I came home Friday afternoon with percoset and valium with refills. I have some pain in my neck and upper shoulders, but it's manageable.

I see my NS in two weeks. As far as my initial pain in my left arm, that is gone....there is still some numbness left, but not mini-shocks when I cough anymore!!

I am in a Miami J collar for 6 weeks, but I have a plastic version that I can use to shower. I took a shower as soon as I got home (because I had previously bought a shower bench based on the recommendations here). It felt great!!!

Overall, I'm glad I had it done...now I know I have a lot of hard work ahead of me.... Thanks to all of you for your support and answering questions!!



  • that's wonderful news.
    so glad things worked out as you planned. :-C :-C :-C :-C :-C :-C :-C :-C :-C :-C :-C
Sign In or Register to comment.