Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

A Very Sad Day for Music - Tribute to Mary Travers

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Depression and Coping
last night, mary travers succumbed to a long long illness while being recently admitted to hospital. mary has suffered from many serious illnesses over the past 5 years. about 2 years ago she made her mind that she wantet to back on stage with peter and paul.
my wife was in charge in working with her to regain her overall strength, but specifically in the pulmnoary area. she did and
we went to the first concert peter paul and mary did as a team in almost 8 years. the trio continue to map out other tour dates including a christmas concert at carnegie hall in nyc, this past 2008 season. my wife was continuing to help mary pick out songs so that she wouldnt have to over exhaust herself during the concert. peter paul and mary did many pratice sessions at mary's house in
redding, ct. i was totally shocked when i heard mary's voice in december. a few months earlier her voice was so much stronger.
she insisted on doing more. singing on staff was her passion. i believe she did 1 or 2 more concerts before realizing enough is enough. i was so very fortunate enough go to mary's house and cook one of her favorite meals. the entire day i was a nervous wreck, calling me wife several times over at the hospital. i hope i dont blush, i hope i dont do this or that, etc... well that night after dinner, i held mary's hand and told her i had to say something. i know to the many who have treated you during your ilness look at you as a patient and will do anything to make you feel better, but me, i look at you as a music icon. i grow up listening to your music it was such a thrill for me, we hugged. that was the last time i saw mary.

late tuesday night, my wife got a call from mary's husband letting pat know that mary was admitted. he was very down, pat drover over to his house to keep him company

its a very sad day for me, not only because we lost an icon from the 70's and 80's but because we lost a beautiful women.

recent years have drained so much from her, her lungs had trouble keeping in step with what she really wanted to do

i felt so fortunate that i was able to enter her life for even a brief moment. my wife had the honor in watching that person going from a strong able women until basically the end

my wife lost a good friend
i lost an acquaintance
the world has lost a musical genius

where have all the flowers gone
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• Yes - loved her words! She was a forceful poet with music.

Sorry for both of you and her family. David
  • It is sad to see Mary is gone, however it is nice to know she is no longer struggling with every breath.

Please extend my condolences to Pat.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • I saw that and was sorry to hear it. I actually just made a slide show with "Leaving on a Jet Plane" for my dad's service during his military photos part as it was on the radio when my mom dropped him off for the plane to VietNam.

I don't know if artists realize how much they impact so many people, but she did. I hope she hurts no more.
  • PapaRon, I'm so sorry to hear that you, Pat and many others have lost such a beautiful soul. There was such tenderness, warmth and emotion when she sang that it touched every heart that heard her sing.

My condolences to her friends and family that will miss her so much. And my condolences to the world of music who lost such a delightful and talented lady.

Cath

• Sad news indeed.
  • advertisement
  • How fortunate that you got to know her personally. I too, was saddened to hear of her passing. I was a longtime fan. My condolences to you and your wife,as well as her family. They don't make musicians like that anymore.
  • How fortunate that you got to know her personally. I too, was saddened to hear of her passing. I was a longtime fan. My condolences to you and your wife,as well as her family. They don't make musicians like that anymore.
  • I loved her voice. Truly a legend of real music. It must've been wonderful knowing her. Her songs had a statement as well as just making us feel good listening. Condolences. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I thought of you and your wife last night when I heard the news of Mary's passing. I remembered reading about the night you cooked her dinner and what a wonderful time you and your wife had with your friend. What a special woman Mary was to the entire world, an Icon, it's true. Her smile and voice will be missed forever more. What a special priveledge for your wife to have been a part of her life and to help her when she needed it the most. How lucky for you and your wife to befriend her! You will always have good memories!

My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends as they say farewell to their loved one. My heart is sad too as I also will miss this Icon of our music world! The only thing comforting is to know that she is singing with the angels today.

Kathy
advertisement