Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pre-Op Exercises

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am looking at scheduling a microdiscecotmy for a herniation at L5-S1. I know part of the reason for the herination is a weak core. I am able to walk and stretch some without intense pain. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to strengthen my core or other exercises to do before the surgery so I can recover quicker? Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• hi!! :H using the exercise ball is a great way to work on your core and not injure your back any further. all you have to do is sit on it and balance and you will develope your core muscles that way. there is info on the site about the ball. of course if you are up to it, there is more you can do.. talk to your doctor about this first! :-C good luck with your upcoming surgery! :D Jenny :)
  • The ball is a great way to build core strength without hurting yourelf. I can't stand to walk, but I ride a mountain bike. Riding bicycle helps with balance, core strength, leg strength. I was up to a 100 miles a week before this episode of back pain. Waiting to schedule 360 fusion. It is great exercise if your pain allows it.
  • advertisement
  • You might want to look at some of the exercises that are recommended on this site:

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/overview-sciatica-exercises

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/physical-therapy/exercise-ball-uses

Keep up with your walking. That will help with your conditioning.