Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Surgery Last Wednesday

lilac100llilac100 Posts: 180
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
How you doin? I'm not so great, but what do ya expect? I had my TLIF on Wednesday the 23rd. No really I'm not so bad considering he did more work than he thought he would. I think being home is helping more than anything. The nurses at St. Mary's kept me sick I think. The day shift nurses thought they knew more than the doctor so they didn't hook me up to my Dilauted drip. They tried to get me to take pills even though I was vomiting everywhere. So from day 1 my pain was out of control. They didn't give me anything for the vomiting I had to ask for it. I will say when the evening shift nurse came on she did her best to get my pain under control. She couldn't go back & hook up my IV but she did give me my pain meds every 3 hours like the doctor wrote. Day shift nurse said I could only have them every 4 hours. Anyway she also went through the meds the doctor ordered and found valium to help with the muscle spasms, day shift nurse didn't mention it. No wonder all of those old people kept me awake all the time, they were in pain. Now that I'm home and can take my meds on time without waiting for "god" I'metting better. Yes I intend to let the hospital know this is going on and want to know what they plan to do about it, because I'm just the kind of bitch to go to the newspaper about it. Ya know what it's monday I may just call about it today, because seriously I'm relatively young and can deal with pain, older people it would hit harder.

Back to the surgery. It went really well, I can already tell a difference in how I walk. Don't get me wrong the surgery is a nightmare and the pain is killer but I know it will end so I can live with it. The doctor put in 2 infuse cages in-between L4 & L5. He put in 4 screws, 2 rods, and a cross bar that he wasn't going to put in. I still have to ask about that. He said the bones were moving a lot more than he thought they were so he understood better the pain I was having. He said " I knew you were in pain, but I thought you were over exaggerating it a little." So great my surgeon thought I was faking it just a little, at least he did the surgery anyway. How's this for great: He does his own rounds at the hospital. I know a lot of ortho doctors send their PA instead of doing it themselves. I grew 1/2 inch in 5 hours. That is how long it lasted. The incision is like 8-12 inches. Like I said he said it was a little worse than the thought starting out. Unfortunately it went straight through my tattoo. Oh well he said he used that as a guide to line my skin back up. He used glue so no metal problems and he had records from the hysterectomy incision opening back up after the stitches came out. I can't believe I'm 1/2 inch taller, WOW, that's huge. I never even considered that.

Ok now to some other things no one thinks about after surgery. All of my chairs suck. Chris had to take me out last night because he tried without me and the chair wasn't any better for me. Anyway we ended up buying a high back office chair with arm rests.

Jordan and Gibson are being the most awesome kids I could ask for. Jordan even said this "mom I would be scarred for life but if you need help in the bathroom I'll help you. Isn't that the sweetest thing a teenage son can say. I would never ask him too but sweet all the same.

advertisement

Comments

• Did your Dr tell you anything about sitting. Mine said no more than to eat or to go bathroom. It puts alot of strain on back. Just to let you know. You might want to call and ask. Usually no sitting for first few months. Just want to make sure you dont hurt yourself. Love, Robin
  • Sorry you had lousy nursing in the hospital, but happy that you're doing better at home now. It's good that you've got a very loving family who'll help you as much as they can.

That was a good point about the high back office chair - I've got one and it's comfortable, but I hadn't thought about using it post-op.

Hope your recovery keeps going well and do let us know how you're going.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • advertisement
  • I had great nurses after my cervical fusion, but with the lumbar fusion I was so disappointed in the staff. Being a nurse myself, I am so aware of what care I and fellow patients should be getting. I had the same condition as you, but only a Grade I. With the terrible symptoms I had and the failed conservative therapy, fusion was my only option. I have never regretted my decision to have it done. Hope you continue to have a good recovery.

Best to you,

Marianne
  • My hubby had spinal fusion and laminectomy last Thursday. Pain is worse than b4 and the pain is worse. Have had ultra sounds for clots, none, and now blood work today to check for "infection". Could this be a failed surgery??? It is #5 but the first fusion.
  • iowarobin said:
    Did your Dr tell you anything about sitting. Mine said no more than to eat or to go bathroom. It puts alot of strain on back. Just to let you know. You might want to call and ask. Usually no sitting for first few months. Just want to make sure you dont hurt yourself. Love, Robin

Yeah I knew I wasn't allowed to sit alot but they really should tell you before surgery that a recliner won't work. I'm only sitting to eat meals. I go for my 10 min walk come home run a board through my walker put a small meal on the board sit it in front of my computer chair. The walker works so great as a table tray.

Anyone know how much I should be sleeping? I'm sleeping so much that my pain killers and muscle relaxers are wearing off. It is really difficult to move when I've slept more than 5 hours.
  • advertisement
  • ksb72 said:
    My hubby had spinal fusion and laminectomy last Thursday. Pain is worse than b4 and the pain is worse. Have had ultra sounds for clots, none, and now blood work today to check for "infection". Could this be a failed surgery??? It is #5 but the first fusion.

Hey I'm thinking its a little too early to call it failed back surgery but you would probably get a lot more responses if you started a new thread to discuss his issues.
  • Pain will be worse than before. Mine was. Hang in there. It is a very long recovery. Pain will be there for quite a while.
  • Almost 2 weeks out now. I've been over emotional. My poor family has been putting up with me for days like this. I can't get comfortable. I'm just miserable. The pain isn't as bad as I expected but I didn't expect to be constantly uncomfortable.
  • I understand your frustration. My emotions were out of control for a while too. The first several weeks are definitely tough physically and emotionally. Are you keeping up with your meds? I resisted a little, trying to tough it out and then took the advice of some folks here who said that being in pain slows your recovery. You tend to stay tensed up and that keeps the pain cycle going. I know it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but it will start to get brighter. I can't believe how much I have improved considering how I felt 2 months ago. Rest and walk and try to keep your spirits up.
advertisement