Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

I need help.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in New Member Introductions
I am 29 years old. Hurt my lower back and lower neck upperback area. (Basically right where my neck and shoulder area come together)

I did this at work. When I hurt my neck area I had stabbing pain in the right side of it. Felt like needles stabbing me. Lower back started hurting pretty much at the same time. Worked for 2 more days before going to the doctor. Still have pain in my lower back. Neck pain comes and goes as it wants. Nothing I now triggers it, but I know when it is comming starts out as a slight pain then comes the needle like stabbing pain. Now whenever I sit down I have tingling in my toes and fingers. My fingers also turn a very purple color and become very clammy and cold. My feet feel like they are trying to go to sleep. Doctor has put my on P/T but I dont think it is helping much. They doctor told me not to be concerned with my hands that it is just poor circulation. Never had this problem before.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.



  • I would really be concerned about a doc that tells me not to worry about poor circulation. Have you considered a second opinion? Has your doc done any tests at all? Sometimes you can feel pain at both levels (neck and lower back) but your issues may be at only 1 level. Sometimes it takes going to several different docs before actually getting a diagnosis. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • My docotor is supplied by my companies workmans comp insurance. I was sent to a doctor then after a week and half of rest and no improvement they took x-rays of my neck and lower back. Doctor said good news you do not have arthritis. He then scheduled a MRI.( He thinks I may have a bulging disc) After the MRI was scheduled workcomp declined the MRI and put me under another doctors care. The new doctors route is P/T. He will not give me any pain pills. Only prescribing anti-inflamatory pills. Says it is just a muscle strain. Right now i am following work comps doctors. I am getting nervous thou cause I have yet to get any relief and the pain I get in my neck brings tears to my eyes. Just dont know how long to go before I seek outside help.

  • advertisement
  • Cant remember if I put this in the fist post. But after my injury I tried putting on my socks which I was sitting on the floor, my back popped and my right leg and foot went numb for about 10 minutes

  • If i were you i would see your primary doctor,and have him order you a mri,you need another opinion beside the workmens comp doctors,also if you havnt yet gotten a lawyer,you should talk to one.......dont let workmen comp railroad you,you might need a lawyer......
  • I don't know anything about workers comp, but do you get to choose another doctor to see a 2nd opinion or anything? And they can just NOT cover the MRI, even though the doctor says it's needed? I'd question everything, they might just be trying to get out of paying for what's needed.

    If you do a search on the forum for workers comp you may be able to find threads with more information. I hope you can figure out something soon and get your back taken care of! Do you think your normal doctor would prescribe you anything stronger than your anti inflammatories?
  • advertisement
  • also, if your hands are turning purple I'd go see your normal doctor as well for sure. The advice about hiring a lawyer is helpful too! You might need one. What a mess, sorry you have to jump through so many hoops.
  • I am sure the laws are different in each state. However check and see what your legal rights are. In my state ( Pa. ) we can chose our own Drs. We still have to go to see the drs. comp tells us to but they also pay for us to see our own choice of Drs.

    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • From my understanding in Missouri you can see a docotor of your own choosing but you pay for that out of pocket. Workmans comp may be required to pay it if you can prove that it was neccessary to see another doctor. I dont really have a regular doctor. Prior to this I might have been to the doctor 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years. The person I saw was at the local urgent care, dont even know if they are still there.

  • I'm making a general comment because I have no knowledge of the ins and outs of working with a workmen's comp. injury....

    I just know that a patient can waste a lot of valuable time by seeing a general practioner. They have a tendency to minimize a back injury and assume it is a strain that will cure itself with a little course of PT, which is ordered up and executed prior to having a MRI to see if something else is going on. Also, even if they are the ones that order the MRI, they do not necessarily know the significance of what they are looking at. I wasted at least a year with my beloved internist who kept telling me my MRI showed a spine that was typical for "someone my age."
    He did not order an X-ray which revealed the spondylolisthesis that was the cause of my pain. Having purple fingers is not normal and at the very least, needs to be investigated.

    If there is any way for you to see a fellowship-trained spinal specialist, I would suggest you do what you can to make that happen. This can be either an orthopedic spinal surgeon (not an orthopedic sports doc, or one who does joint replacements or fixes broken bones, hands, etc.) or a neurosurgeon who devotes his practice to issues of the back and neck. Don't worry about "surgeon" in the specialty's name -- they will always regard surgery as a last choice option.

    Good luck. Hope you can get a proper diagnosis soon.

  • I am in agreement with the others... get a second opinion.

    With worker's comp aside, what is your regular health insurance like? Do you need referrals to see a specialist? If not, I would go straight to seeing an orthopedic surgeon or neurologist so they can order the proper MRI scans and get you better treatment going. If you have gone about 2 weeks now with just PT and anti-inflams and have felt NO relief at all and still in tears, you definitely need better care. If you do need a referral to see a specialist with your insurance, get to a primary doctor's office, ask for the referral, but also ask for them to prescribe the MRI scan for you so that you save time and money to get the MRI scan done BEFORE you get to the specialist (specialist co-pay can usually cost more so you'll save $$ there).

    Good luck with everything, but please do not wait any longer with the worker's comp doctors.
Sign In or Register to comment.