Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SCS Stimulator Being Removed!!

Comments

• TTLC said:
    It's unfortunate to learn that your body was allergic to the SCS materials. I guess this means that having the pain pump implanted is not possible now, due to your body rejecting the materials used for implant devices
    That's a good point.

• You are correct. I am scared to death to have another implant!! I do not want to ever be cut on again!! My back was a mass of sores from the tape where they bandaged me....even the paper tape broke me out!! I am allergic to it....even the band aids for sencitive skin breaks me out!!Seesh
    All the bandages are gone now...thank goodness. I get to shower tomorrow....yippeeeeee!! Can't call me stinky anymore.LOL
    I have not had the MRI yet but will be calling tomorrow to see when i can have one. Just got the order today. Oh gosh....I HATE having an MRI!! Where I am having it, is the smallest tube I have ever seen.
    Thanks for the comment sweetie
    Cheers
    Patsy W
  • advertisement
  • How are you feeling today? So much is going on and I'm still trying to catch up. Is the pain pump out of the question now? As far as allergies is concerned, I haven't had any and all I know is that the pump itself is made with titanium, same as the screws and rods of our instrumentations. Have you tried taking some Benadryl to see if it helps with the itching? I'm sorry you had to have something like this happen, but at least now you know what was wrong. So, what's next for you girlie? They have to give you oral meds for now and I'm sure your new PM doctor will help you with that. He has to, he can't leave you without anything. Anyway, I'm just thinking of you and I hope that 2010 will be a much better year for you. Please keep us posted. Hugs, Meydey & Sissy
  • I have no idea what i am going to do now!! I am at a loss now. I just saw my curremt PM yesterday and he still says the pain pump is my only answer. He knows I was allergic to something about the SCS!! But Meydey I am afraid of another implant!!
    He still wants me to go to the Cleveland clinic but I can't afford to go there!! Anyway I would not take off for Cleveland in the winter.
    I will see what this other PM says but I can't see hem again until MARCH now!! They are going to try to get me in earlier after I have my blood work and the MRI done. I am having that done here. I just got the orders for the MRI yesterday.
    But you know what?? I get to shower today!! And that is where I am heading!!
    Hugsss to you and Sissy
    patsy w
  • I'm curious, you had your SCS trial before your TLIF? If so, why didn't you try the SCS again once your back was stabilized? It just seems that the pump is such a huge increase in the pain in the ass factor than a stimulator.
    meydey321 said:

Even I was offered the SCS and the trial didn't work. Then I consulted with a surgeon and I ended up having a TLIF/lami. Over a year later I was in more pain and the pain pump was suggested to me.
    Merry Christmas,

Dave
  • advertisement
  • Iam realy sorry for all the troubles you had with this SCS implant.I myself had 2 failed trials with SCS. One trial was before i ever had surgery,2nd trial was after having failed adr=artificial disc replacement put in l4l5 which caused more nerve pain for me then any pain i ever had previous to surgery.2 Years later they fused my adr in to place,after realising that did nothing for the pain, they pushed the SCS trial on me again,once again it failed.At this point it was time to bring in the big dog, the Morphine pump trial.I have to admit i was prety excited about this pump trial at this point.Long story short,During pump trial, from the moment i was sent home i had spinal fluid leak which kept me in so much pain with head ache that for 7 days i could not get out of bed.My pump trial i must say was the worse experiance i have had.I am not trying to scare anyone off the pump trial by any means.For i know some are out there that are doing well with it .This is something that does hapen to some, just as things go wrong with SCS. Wish you all the best Patsy and pray we all find releif.For none of us should suffer like we do in this day and age. Alex
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Why do you think pain pumps are such huge pains in the a$$? Actually I think stims are the bigger ones but of course that is left to each person to decide. And I have the right to this opinion because I went through a stim trial and I found that it was not the thing for me. I did not care for the zaps, buzzes, etc and the settings were not soothing my pains. It did nothing for me.

Since I have experienced both, I think I can safely say that I'd rather have medication dispensed automatically every day for about 6-7 months without me really having to give it much thought.

I'm not even trying to spark a big debate over this. If you prefer stims, then more power to you and I'm glad this is the right treatment for YOU.

The thing that I do agree with you is that yes, perhaps the stim trial was offered up too soon in the course of my care, and I'm glad that I was referred to have surgery to correct the mechanical problems I had going on.

I don't have anything against stims, only that it it did ZERO for my back and leg pains during the trial. I went along with the pump trial, at my PM and NS's recommendation, and it turned out much better than the stim trial IN MY CASE.

Isn't it great that we have a variety of treatments to choose from?

So, the pump has not been a big pain to me. Sometimes I forget that I have it in me. To me it's a good thing. If others find it to be a big nuisance then that's perfectly alright and I hope the stim is the answer for them, and if not then I hope something else will help.

Well Dave, you asked and I've answered. Hope this was helpful.
  • I'm sorry to hear about rough experiences you had with the stim and pump. I can relate because I did have a horrible 2 week spinal headache with the stim trial a couple of years ago. I admit it left me traumatized because I was so sick and incapacitated. When I had my pain pump put in, I had another one (thankfully only for a day and a half) post op and I stayed 2 extra days in the hospital. This is an unfortunate side effect whenever we have invasive spinal procedures. Do you have any other plans or are you going to continue on oral medications? Again, I understand how awful it was and hope you won't have to experience this again. Take care
  • In all fairness, you're experience with a stimulator is tainted. I personally do not think a stimulator will work on someone that has mechanical generated pain. You are very disingenuous when you state that a trial failed you when all conservative and surgical procedures had not been explored. As far as I can recollect, this is the first post where you indicated that you did the SCS before the TLIF in the same post. If you're going to say something failed you, it would be better if you were more honest with the facts. I find this left out information to be very misleading.

However, you are correct in that I do not know whether a pain pump is a PITA or not. In my opinion, everything is a PITA.

Dave
  • I think you're spending way too much time digging into what is not there.

Who are you to say my stim experience is tainted? Where you there? Are you a doctor qualified in performing this procedure? How could you possibly know what I feel? That's right, YOU DON'T.

BTW, my NS said that the pain pump would help my mechanical pain and nerve pain. He told me this after I went to see him around the 1 year anniversary of my fusion. I trust him and believe that he is looking out for my best interest. If I had to have more surgery in the future, I'd go straight back to him.

How can you say that I haven't tried enough conservative and surgical procedures? I've been through enough and then some- spinal injections, physical therapy, meds, et cetera. What more do you want?

Who are you to judge me and say that I'm not being honest? I've been nothing but honest and I share what I WANT to and always been candid, so why don't you just back off of me . Don't you have nothing else better to do than to nit pick everything? What are you trying to prove? What discrepancies have you found- NONE. Nothing, NADA, NIET or however you spell it. It amounts zilch.

Yes I'm on fire right now. Dave, you will not win popularity contests being the way you are. Who wants to sign up to SH and have someone tell them they are wrong because they don't agree with almighty Dave. Stop it. Enough already. This is so high school. We are all adults here and therefore must treat each other with respect and stop fault finding and instigating. I go out of my way to get along with everyone, but I absolutely refuse to sit back and allow you to insinuate that I'm some kind of liar. Not going to happen.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.