Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Permanent Implant

Comments

• Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty swollen right now, so I have no idea what my settings will eventually be. I currently have the same programs that I had for my trial. The goal over the next 2 weeks is to identify the initial programs. The sitting numbers are so wildly different from standing or laying down numbers that I was concerned about getting into the situation I was in last night.

I have the little pouch but was hoping that there was something with a clip. It would be a lot better if I could just have handheld near (like in front of me) the IPG rather than right over top of it. Seems like a bad design if you ask me.

Dave
  • Well I carry a waist pack with me when I leave the house and I always have the programmer in it. A lot of the time it stays in the truck while I'm off doing something. I haven't carried the antenna with me since about a month after I got it. I only use the antenna at home if I am shifting contacts or tweaking the program beyond simple amplitude adjustments.

Another way I've carried the programmer is in a pair of cargo pants or cargo shorts.

You will figure out what works best for you. As Wrambler pointed out, it will get to where you don't need to or feel the need to have it with you at all times. You will discover your own comfort zone of what works for you and what doesn't.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • One of the lessons I learned was not to put the remote down and forget where you put it. I did that a few days ago and realized I couldn't find it when I wanted to lay down. I had DH searching everywhere in the house until I realized that I had left it on my daughter's bed.

I am still very much at the point where I have to change the settings if I sit vs stand, etc so the remote is my best freind.
  • I still can't sleep with mine on.
    Just doesn't work for me, I roll and the stim change wakes me up, over and over.
    The problem is that I have gotten so used to it that I lay down in bed and realize I did not turn it off!
    I then have to get up, go get the remote out of the bag, turn it off and go back to bed.
    I used to bee good and turn it off when driving, but don't bother anymore as it never does any of the surges it would occasionally do when first implanted.

I have my 6 month appt with my PM in the AM, oh goody. It's always a fun time there!
  • Good luck with your 6 month check-up.

Dave
  • advertisement
  • My rep scolded me when she saw me get in my car with my "vibrator" on. The problem, she explained, was if you're in an accident-----that would cause your stim to possibly surge and cause you to, say, turn the wheel into oncoming traffic ot hit the accelerator instead of the brake or visa versa. I still don't usually turn mine off. I'm just so used to the feeling, it doesn't occur to me that anything is on. Dave, I've gone to work and left my remote at home and after a moment of panic, I just say, "Oh well", "don't worry if the mule is blind, just keep loading the wagon". (I really don't say that. I read it in a magazine while I was waiting to see my PM today and I really liked it. I sure never thought I would get a chance to use it----especially so soon.) Susan
  • I developed a low grade fever tonight, around 100 to 101. Called the Doctor twice because they didn't call back with instructions. Just taking it easy and waitin for my call back. Hope everyone else is having good night.

Dave
  • I certainly hope that the fever is not anything to worry about! Please keep us posted.

Wrambler,

For several months after getting my SCS, I would turn it down at night so that I could sleep. It eventually got to where I can't function with my SCS turned off. I can't even begin to think about going to sleep or resting with it off.

The unevenness of the stimulation from an upright to a prone position has mellowed out over time. I think that some of that is just developing a tolerance to it. Not tolerance in the manner of it becoming less effective, but being able to tolerate changes themselves.

I have done a lot of adapting to the SCS, whereas I don't even realize I am adjusting my position to keep the stimulation constant or increase it to cover the pain from shifting positions. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's like having a favorite position in which to sleep or sit in a chair with.

"C"
  • The fever broke this morning around 5:00am. Good thing I was sleeping in the spare bedroom, cause the sheets were drenched.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Dave
  • To hear the fever broke. Did you drop or decrease meds?

I don't want to barge in on your thread so I'll comment on my 6 month on my own, soon as I create it...
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.