Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New-Need Info on Fusions

advertisement

Comments

• what they say. It will be useful information for those of us that are gathering knowledge!

Hope that your appointment goes well and that you remember to ask all your questions (make a list, and check it twice!) and that the answers help to calm your fears.

Take care, hope you are having a better day. :)

• I'm so glad that the dilaudid is now controlling your pain. I'm sure that you've read on here, not to get behind with a dose of medication or it will be hard to get control of the pain again.

So you were is hospital for 6 days? Was that because they were trying to get your pain under control?

Hope that each day that goes by sees you with less and less pain. You are on the road to recovery now and the surgery is behind you. Have a smooth ride now that you are home.

Are you finding the satin sheets good?

Rest and heal.
  • advertisement
  • I hope you are feeling better with the diludid...I'm on it now. I'm definitly going to ask about the bed thing, because I don't see myself going up those stairs.
    Get to those satin sheets and let us know how you are tomorrow!
    Jen
  • I'm starting to feel that nervousness coming on...I just had a colonoscopy today, so that is another thing checked off the list, which means the surgery is that much closer!
    I'm glad you are doing good..it gives me hope!
    Jen
  • I am glad you are home and hopefully feeling more pain relief. I hope that you are able to get comfotable. I remember the first days as being the worse. Good Luck and let me know if I can help in any way. Love, Robin
  • advertisement
  • what I wanted Jenifer to know is that although I had been on fairly heavy percocets and roxys for over a year(from PM DR) the IV drip I received at hospital was Fentanyl .I had tried this trans-dermal with no luck. Did nothing, well not enough. On the third day the Dr's resident changed IV to dilaudid. I am not sure the surgeon would have done this. These were dark days, thank god they changed it before I lost the desire to fight thru. The staff also let my Iv pump run out twice. Took all of an hour to get a nurse to come change it out. somewhere in our discussions my DR got the impression that I wanted off all pain relief. I was hoping to cut back or eliminate, but not at the cost of debilitation pain. Sent me home with 5mg oxcodone told me to take 1-3 every 3hrs = 8 day supply / does not get me to first follow up visit. Gave me diazapam 10mg for anxiety (did not ask for these?)He also gave oxycotin er 10mg 2 per day/ 30 day supply. he also sent a letter telling me to stop taking my 10/325 percocets. I hope you have a good PM DR. I do. But to 100% clear my surgeon did not sent be home with dilaudid. I have a PM DR appt Monday and I plan on being there. My PM DR is the closest thing to a mentor that I have. I WANT you to ask about post op pain, In my opinion nobody gave a care after the stitches were done, except those few angelic nurses. I ask and was told I would be well medicated post op (should have ask specifics). The prob is that is where I let it go I should have asked more specific questions. On my shoulder surgery I got dilaudid. when I had a T&A in college I got morphine and a big shot of dilaudid for the trip home. I am not a drug seeker, but tend to get under-dosed unless the DR takes some time to research my tolerance to certain drugs.So I suggest you find out speciicallly what your IV and orals will be at the hospital ad upon discharge.
    Hey You'll be ok, I"M only 38 and have no regrets.
    Last thing, the surgeon said the MRI did not show the true damage to my disks. He said they were wasted and he had no idea how I made it this long in a factory.

best of luck, I hope this helps because it was the worst part of my ordeal, and I feel I could have done more to protect myself fro excessive pain but failed, but you can learn from my mistake

-norm the factoryrat
  • First I want to thank you for taking the time to write all of that!! I am making a list to take with me and "discussion with surgeon regarding post op AND take home meds" will be FIRST on my list!
    I too, had no luck with the Fentanyl patch and my primary doctor kept upping it till it hit 100 mcg and then doubled the dilaudid which did and does nothing. The next day after he doubled it he asked me if it worked and I told him no and he said he wasn't surprised, he had just hoped it might help get me to my surgery date. He said if I had a broken arm, I'd feel great, but it is nerve pain....
    I'm starting the second guessing in my head as to whether or not I should do this. Of course then when I get up and try to walk up the stairs or lay in one place for more than 15 minutes I realize why I have to get it done.
    That they let the IV pump run out is so totally unexceptable! But it sounds like you had a couple of caring nurses. I have had dilaudid IV for a hyterectomy that went bad 8 years ago and although I felt out of it and talked nonsense, it kept me out of pain! If the doctor asks me if I have a preference, that is what I'm asking for! Forget the Fentanyl!
    I never took drugs before all of this happened and I'm not in the least worried about becoming addicted, I just want the amount that will keep me out of pain until I heal. In this day in age there is no excuse for anyone to have to endure physical pain!
    Take care Norm and bless you for taking the time to write a reassuring email!
    Jen

• and all this talk of uncontrolled pain and the iv pump running out, is very concerning.

If I ask about pain control, I will have no idea if his answer is going to be adequate or not. All these names mean nothing to me.

I suppose I could just ask what he will do if the meds he gives me, aren't controlling my pain. I also want to try to find out how accessible he is.

Hope that your pain gradually diminishes now factoryrat and that your healing will be speedy.
advertisement