Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bone Growth Stimulators & Osteophytes?

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,740
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Howdy all,

I have been using a Bone Growth Stimulator now for almost a month at 4 hours a day. I was put on it due to the top of my C6/7 fusion separated. Okay, that isn't my issue, as I am like many, waiting to see if indeed it works!

Hence my oddball question? If the purpose of this device it to "stimulate" the bone elements of my fusion to grow/heal, what is or could it be doing with Osteophytes that I have? Are they going to "grow" faster? I told you this question is "oddball." I have Osteophytes in my C2/3 and also now in my T1/C7. Soooo obviously, if they are going to increase or grow bigger faster, it is a bit dis concerning to say the least! Thanks in advance ladies and gents!!! :-)

Brenda
PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement

Comments

• I was just pondering the same thing! Can't wait to see if you get any answers!
  • happynessa said:
    I was just pondering the same thing! Can't wait to see if you get any answers!
    Thanks! I was thinking about it because most folks have their "spurs" removed, and the Bone Growth Stimulator is a good thing. But for those of us that have the Osteophytes at other levels, what is the effect. Scary if I let my mind go ....

I re-looked on the Ortho website to see if they mentioned anything about affecting other areas that have spurs or bone ridges - nothing ..(I know, no surprise there)

Brenda
  • advertisement
  • Well ya'll, I was hoping someone had an answer. :-( I guess I am going to use myself as a "test bed" then! My vote, and this is based on minor locking at my C2/3, and crunching at my C7/T1. My fear, the "spurs" are being spurred to grow!

I have a "chronic osteophyte" complex at the C2/3 level. Before my bone growth stim, "mentally & physically" I would have never known those puppies where there if I didn't know of them due to the MRI....now I get pinching and locking (not real bad most times) at the C2/3 levels. I guess like the good guinea pig that I am (big grin), I will know on the next MRI??

Oh, and I posted the "contact us" on the Ortho site and presented the same question....no answer. hurmf!!!

Brenda
  • I will have to ask my ns when I see him next week.
  • yasmina said:
    I will have to ask my ns when I see him next week.
    Howdy Yasmina!!!

Thanks in advance for adding this question to him. I have complexes of spurs in my C2/3 and now 3 big ones in my T1/C7. I have lost my ring and pinkie fingers (I had my Ulnar issues fixed a year and a half ago - see sig.) and I was soooo happy, then in like 2 hours (3 weeks ago) lost them, and most of the feeling on the bottom of my arm! I now almost every time I eat, get hellashious headaches at the back/base of my head (C2/3 per my NS - they were occasional then!). They have gotten so bad in the last 2 weeks, I have STOPPED eating lunch at work as even Tylenol doesn't kick them out.

I am getting close to calling my NS to ask, but these things are so new, and the dang studies are done under controlled variables - one level only or multiple at the same time etc. Nothing about folks with osteophytes at other levels but not bad enough to grind down or what have you. These new symptoms just seem too odd.. Thanks again in advance Yasmina!! *HUG*

Brenda :-)
  • advertisement
advertisement