Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

December surgeries

Comments

• I'm still "tenatively" scheduled for December the seventh. Waiting for the insurance authorization. I'm having a fusion and discectomy . May be using my own bone, as I have Osteopenia...

Still waiting...

Found out yesterday I'm allergic to Amrix, so now I'm on Soma. Rhymes with coma, and boy does it put me to sleep.
  • hi karen
    so glad your home,sounds like ya doin good..
    please get rest and im sure will chat with ya soon..
    great idea
    i know of few ppl having dec surgeries
    you (well tech.your nov lol)
    and lew other day
    and alex
    i wish ya all speed recoveries
    so glad ya home karen
    get rest
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • advertisement
  • Yasmina,

I'm having one level fusion L5/S1 and Lamenectomy.
    Disc wil be removed and a cage placed. I ended up
    working less today because of cancelations. It was a
    blessing. I got4 1/2 hours ofcourt ordered paperwork done. I can't believe all that was requested and even court ordered when people found out I was having surgery and taking time off. Geezzzzz thanks alot!!

My mind was preoccupied until hospital and physician
    office called. I wanted to use the bone stimulator
    butmy insurance wouldn't approve!

I'm ready toget this over with, but am alittle apprehensive. Even with preperation, I don't really]know what to expect. Haven't had major surgery and
    haven't been admitted to hospital since I was a kid.

I think your idea for this thread is a great idea!
  • yasmina said:
    What are you going to have done? We'll be here for you to help you through it.
    I'm still deciding. Struggling.
    Stretched wrong on 8/12, felt pop and couldn't get out of bed. Went to ER and found out I herniated L5-S1. They gave me tons of IV meds and the excruciating sciatic pain I had when trying to stand just went numb.

I had a microD on 8/21 and never really felt better (or at least not past week 2). Follow up MRI showed re-herniation same place, same side, large piece. I clearly lost some disc height as well. Some people (doctors) are conservative and of the opinion it's worth a revision MicroD try. Others recommend Fusion.

I just don't know. Odds of success are same with both but fusion is permanent and LONG recovery it seems. Also odds of another fusion seem unavoidable. Of course odd of a fusion at some point in the future seems unavoidable too.

Oddly, my pain is varied. I have good days, ok days, and terrible days. On terrible days, I take a tylenol with Codeine for a great night sleep and I end up having a few good days. So I jsut don't know that my pain warrants aggressive surgery. However, I listen to doctors and I can understand both views.

I just want to curse (heck I do) b/c I just don't have a crystal ball. So I have 2 more opinions. One is free through a mid-west USA clinic through work that specializes in lumbar herniation and the other is with another neuro surgeon.

I guess I'm trying to understand why people opted for TLIF on L5-S1. Was it pain and if yes, what level on 1-10? how long did you deal or try other stuff for? Was it leg pain or back pain or both? Did you have leg numbness/weakness?

Anyhow, you will hear from me.
    Right now, I'm 40 and very scared about a fusion. LOgically it makes sense for the immediate issue but I think out into the future and see the risks of domino. I also weigh time against technology.

Anyhow, any insight would be much welcome!
  • which is a load off my mind. Everything went well. Got my brace, did my pre-op admission and testing...now I am just waiting for surgery day. I am ready to get it over with and start the healing process. 8>
  • advertisement
  • to all you December spinies! I hope you all have very skilled surgeons with wonderful bedside manners and that your recoveries go wonderfully. We'll check in to see how you're all doing.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi Bamacheryl, Sissyjane and Laughnsmile

Hoping your surgeries and recoveries all go well and that there will be good times ahead.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hope you can get a bit more comfortable in the recliner tonight and the pain pills get you through.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I am scheduled for 12/17 - 2 weeks from today. Oh the butterflies in my belly. Each day I become more anxious. Good luck to everyone. Please report back as this is sooooo helpful to those of us yet to go to surgery. I am having a microdiscectomy and laminectomy involing all 5 lumbar levels. I am so grateful for this site.
  • I'm doing ok. Still have significant pain in my shoulders and neck. A little concern, as today I felt a faint twinge of tingling down my right arm. I don't have a fever, but still get chills and sweats on occasion. I have found that it's easier to cough if I stand up. Wore my atomic necklace for the requisite 4 hours. At one point I stood up and went to raise my arms, no higher than chest level, and all of a sudden I had excrutiating pain shoot down both arms.

I finally gave in and slept in the recliner last night. It helped a lot, as I got more sleep than I have since the surgery. So I start the night in bed, then move downstairs to the recliner when I get up to use the bathroom. Saves me from the worst of the snoring :)
advertisement