Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Surgery complete. I'm home.

laughnsmilellaughnsmile Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I had MI TLIF last thursday morning, Dec. 3. Stayed overnight in hospital-home Dec 4 before my kids were out of school. Surgeon was able to, pull spine back to correct position. Removed disc and large bone spur. Surgery was
1 hour 20 minutes. When I awoke in recovery, I had NO PAIN.

Any surgery I have had in the past and they would be minor
surgery, I have always felt sharp raw pain immediately.

Also, my eyes would close (nod off), then quickly open.
I never actually went back to sleep following recovery. I
was in recovery about 1 1/2 hours.

I did not have a drain (to date a couple of drop on dressing), no cath when I awoke, no brace. I am I feel
"loose" when I'm walking.

I have a hurt feeling but NONE of the before surgery pain.
Thank you God! My prayers and others have been answered.

It is snowing here in central IL and very cold, so I don't
mind being housebound. I started stretching exercises the
2nd day after surgery. Pelvic rock lying on stomach and side due Leg stretches lying on back with leg in air.

The hospital staff were amazed by my movement and lack of pain. Head RN said it was probably due to pain I was in pre-op. I am taking pain pills regularly. When I missed dose, pain is intensified greatly.

I've been sleeping alot. I know some of you wanted to know about my experience with this MI approach. Can't think what to say! Please ask.
advertisement

Comments

• Glad to hear you are pain free! Sounds like you are doing everything right, I'm so happy for you! :)
  • you're doing so well. Did your doc recommend that you do the stretches? If you had a fusion, you might want to hold off on those until you're sure you're fusing well. It's good to keep your muscles limber, but you don't know if you could be damaging something.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad to hear you are home and recovering. Do everything you can to stay inside and avoid the ice and snow!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Woo Hoo, I couldnt be happier for you.
    Please pace yourself. Give yourself time to heal. You deserve it.
  • linda,

yes, the "stretches" are excercise plan by surgeon.
    Every week excersises are increased. It is a 0-42 day. I am going to ask at appointment next week to take out stitches if these movements keep nerve tissue down.

Thanks for all the good wishes. I am so glad surgery is over. I do have pain and discomfort that pain pills help with, but I do not have any of the old pain.

I can actually feel the stability in my back. It feels good. I'm thinking my back was the problem
    when I have had all these dislocations.

I'm rambling and having trouble typing. It's the pain meds I'll say good night.
  • advertisement
  • linda,

Every week excersises are increased. It is a 0-42 day. I am going to ask at appointment next week to take out stitches if these movements keep nerve tissue down.

Thanks for all the good wishes. I am so glad surgery is over. I do have pain and discomfort that pain pills help with, but I do not have any of the old pain.

I can actually feel the stability in my back. It feels good. I'm thinking my back was the problem

• linda,

• That's so good that you're doing well and you're free from the old pain.

I was given core stability exercises to do in the hospital and encouraged to keep on doing them as well as a home exercise program and lots of walking.

Hoping your recovery keeps going well and looking forward to hearing how you're going as the weeks go by.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
advertisement