Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain and swelling - nothing on imaging though

bd38bbd38 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I am wondering if anyone out there has severe pain and swelling chronically, but it doesn't seem to show anything abnormal on mri's or xrays.

I have a long neck and do have forward head posture. Since nothing really shows on the imaging studies, I am guessing that it may be the ligaments causing the pain and swelling. I can even feel it swelling into my throat. Any similar cases out there?

Kevin
advertisement

Comments

• Kevin,

What kind of MRI did you have? Recumbent miss in the neighborhood of 38% of spine issues. It missed my second hernia. The Positional MRI (other name: Stand up MRI) is more accurate many times due to the area being scanned is "under" load vs "rest" position of the regular or "recumbent" MRI. Just a thought there. Take care. :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Kevin, I have forward neck also. This was pointed out by physical therapist. I googled the term and the chiropracters use the term alot. NS do not use this term (if that helps). My PT thinks the muscle are too long on the back of the neck and to short on the front. I am guessing after the surgery I will have a lot of work to do.

Like Brenda said the test do matter as well as whos interpretation. A fellowship trained NS or OS will see things that may not show clear on xray or mri and will order more tests to get a more accurate picture or to firm up a diagnosis.

Unfortunately this is a long process and it pays to be patient and positive.

I personally use ice alot. It seems to be the best for my neck. I keep several gel packs in the freezer so I always have a fresh one.

Are you taking anything for inflamation? Maybe you can ask for something for pain, inflamation and muscle spasms?

Feel Better,

Julie
  • advertisement
  • Brenda I have only had a lying down mri, I am in Canada, and have never even heard of anyone getting another type of mri or if it is available.

What I would like is to find a good "pain" clinic in Canada that deals with spine/neck pain. As of now I know of none near me.

Regards
    Kevin
  • Brenda I have only had a lying down mri, I am in Canada, and have never even heard of anyone getting another type of mri or if it is available.

What I would like is to find a good "pain" clinic in Canada that deals with spine/neck pain. As of now I know of none near me.

Regards
    Kevin
  • Julie,

I am curious, what type of symptoms do you have with your forward head posture? Do you know what caused it?

Thanks
    Kevin
  • advertisement
  • I don't think I have symptoms from the fwd head. I think the fwd head is a result of an injured neck. I didn't even have neck pain until the last 2-3 months. I had pain in my arm that I thought was tennis elbow but then the numbness set it. I did have incredible bad muscle spasm in my upper back/shoulder area. After the mri & xray I was shown to have spondlylosis and osteophytes along with the disc herniations (basically have no disc at 5-6 & 6-7).

One of the PT gals said that they are seeing more people with this bc/ of laptops. We need out computers to be at eye level. Many of us use laptops and are looking down to often causing problems with our necks.

Julie
advertisement