Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having spine surgery, date will be set this week.

etcbymdeetcbymd Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,

I am a 67 year old female, just recovering fully from LTKR, now to undergo a L3-5 Transforaminal lumbar Interbody fusion with decompression. I know its a serious surgery, and being a widow and living alone makes it even worse. I would like some advice on what to expect , how to prepare, things like that...anything would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    Hi, and welcome to s.h. forums. Go onto the Back and Neck surgery section and post your questions there on your surgery. Also click on the "post op must haves" in that section. You will get all of the help you need.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi and Welcome to Spine Health. There are some excellent articles and threads here that explain what to expect and how to prepare. Having your home prepared in advance is one of the best things you can do.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/preparing-back-surgery-patients-advice

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0

These two links are full of excellent information on how to prepare and they may even surprise you by pointing out things you wouldn't normally have considered.

Since you live alone, there are a few extra things to consider and services available that will help tremendously too. Meals on Wheels is an excellent service that helps reduce the need to cook and clean dishes. http://www.mowaa.org/Page.aspx?pid=253

Do you have a friend or family member that might be able to stay with you or check in on you several times a day for a few days once you get home? The first few days are usually pretty achy and having someone there to assist is a blessing.

Anyway, read through the links a bit and see if they generate more questions and ask as many as you want. We are here for this reason, to help.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • j.howie said:
    Hi, and welcome to s.h. forums. Go onto the Back and Neck surgery section and post your questions there on your surgery. Also click on the "post op must haves" in that section. You will get all of the help you need.
    Good luck, Jim
    Took care of moving this to the Back and Neck Surgery Forum. Excellent suggestion sir!

"C"