Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having an Anterior Cervical Discectomy 4/1 - Will I be home for Easter?

advertisement

Comments

• Yes it is lovely that I will be seeing my Mum and my youngest son has also come home from university for the weekend, to celebrate Mother's Day.
    Sadly, I don't think I'll see my daughter with her husband and granddaughter because my granddaughter has chicken pox and I've been advised by the hospital to keep away.

Shari, so glad to hear that you are doing well after your very shaky start.
    Be very careful and follow the rules so as not to overdo it.
    I find it very encouraging that even after all your initial problems, here you are, quite soon after surgery, moving along in your healing and starting PT.
  • Well it looks like you will have a wonderful weekend with your mom and son. Too bad about the little one but you don't want to take any chances. My 3 kids are under strick orders not to get sick between now and then lol.
    dnice, the muscle relaxer is Flexeril. Dont know much about the meds I just take them :) Wish it was valium though..
  • advertisement
  • Just an update that I did make an appointment with the Behavioral Health people for tomorrow at 11. Wish me luck and hope they give me something to calm my butt down.

Was anyone else successful with getting anti anxiety meds prior to surgery?

Thanks again for everyones support.

How are you holding up Jelly?? :)
  • yay! I think it is great that you have an appoint. tomorrow! I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Remember that while it is normal to be nervous, you also have the right to be given something that will allow you to have some peace!

Hang in ther and I will be thinking of you, and praying for you tomorrow! Shari
  • I'm glad you have an appointment - hopefully they can help you. My surgeon gave me xanax before both of my surgeries. My PA once told me, "We're not afraid to take care of our patients." Just a great bunch of docs in the clinic I go to.

Anyway, I'm anxious to hear what happens at your appointment.

Cath
  • advertisement
  • Jellyhall,

Awe honey IU promise we are praying for you every second. How can things not go well with all these prayers. I am so amazed at how well you are holding together this close to the procedure. You are just an inspiration. Know everything is going to be ok, you are in good hands and god will be watching over you. Hugs to you and stay strong. And dont feel bad breaking down to cry if you need to. We ALL need to now and again.

Cathy,

My surgeon does not deal with anxiety. Can you believe that. A guy doing that type of surgery should be able to help people with the anxiety that eventually happens. The whole reason I am going is to hopefully get someting. Work is becoming harder as I am majorly distracted and I need to stay focused to get everything in order before I go. Lord help me :) I will send a note tomorrow and let you know if my $40 was well spent. lol

• Hi Sparkle,

I am doing amazingly well, which is surprising various members of my family, and me too!!
    I keep wondering when I am going to freak out about it. The longer I can put it off the better. Months ago I was tearful and panicky just talking about the possibility of surgery. I think that I have accepted that I don't have an alternative now.
    I do have days when I feel very edgey and irritable and can burst into tears at the drop of a hat.

I can't imagine how I am managing to stay so calm. I hate needles, so how on earth am I going to manage to cope with everything spinal fusion entails.
    (Actually I do know, there are people praying for me. It is working very well!!)

I hope that your appointment goes well, and that they give you something to help you relax and feel calm. I'll be praying for you. :D

jayhawk

So come on, now is the time to give me that talk. (The one I have you just before your surgery - remember/)
  • Well, I have 3 weeks to go for my surgery and am trying to hold it all together. Making lots of plans and fixing up home so it will be user friendly for me when I return.

As for sleeping, My Dr. prescribed Ambien 5 mg. I only take half of 1 so that I can get to sleep and if I wake during the night I can usually change positions till the ache goes away and I can fall back asleep. At least I don't wake up all crancky and miserable in the morning and make everyone crazy.
  • Tahoe Granny,

I am glad you are st least getting rest. Sleep seems like a distant memory at this point. Not like I slept well before the surgery was pending, I have not slept GOOD in 6 years. lol. But such is the world of spinal problems. It looks like you and I are having surgery close together so we can talk frequently for support :) Hang in there.
  • Two weeks before my ACDF, it was rather comical because I called my surgeon's office to tell them how freaked out I was and how much pain I was in and wanted something to help calm me down and something for the pain. They said that they didn't want to handle any meds until my surgery, so I was to call my PCP.

I called my PCP and you would've thought I was asking for the world - she totally freaked out saying, "Oh, NO, I can't prescribe anything. I'm just not going to do it...no, I just can't! You have to have the surgeon do it, I won't."

Huh? Talk about afraid to prescribe anything...sheesh.

So I called my surgeon's PA back and told her what my PCP said and she laughed and said, "Ok, no problem." So she gave me prescriptions for my pain and anti-anxiety meds. Oddly, my PCP was just fine prescribing the muscle relaxers. At the beginning of my spiney journey, my PCP actually prescribed Tramadol for me telling me it was an anti-inflamatory med. Someday I'll probably have to find a new PCP, although I really like her personally.

Cath
advertisement