Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having an Anterior Cervical Discectomy 4/1 - Will I be home for Easter?

advertisement

Comments

• I promise once I feel able to write I will let you know. I think the anticipation is aweful. The not knowing what the pain is going to be like is such a worry in itself.
    I worry a bit about the no brace part myself, maybe he will give me one afterall. I can only hope.
    I have 7 bad discs and this is the first one they are dealing with (5 in my back and 2 in my neck) so I am in pain ALL the time. When you have a good neck day, your back hurts and vice versa. So you and I are in the same boat. It is not a fun ride but I have put surgery off for 6 years I suppose it is about time I start trying to actually make it better. 10 weeks does not sound like very long to me. When you figure it takes 4 weeks sometimes just to get back to work. I hope you have more good days than bad days. That is all you can hope for and that someday you have days that will be completely pain free. This is a dream for me, a day without something hurting... I always worry about overdoing it with working 10 hours and raising my kids. Just stupid stuff like cleaning can throw me into a back attack for a whole week (which is my problem now) Trying to get the house work done and things organized for the surgery. I am so worried about the house falling apart when I cannot help clean it.. lol - thank you for your words of encouragement as always!!*hugs*
  • Just found your note about upcoming surgery. Sometime it's hard to find the links that you want to answer...We all have so much to add to the notes.

This line reminded me that when I had cancer surgery about 15 years ago, friends made relaxation tapes for me (no CD's then). I know that I still have them somewhere, just have to find them after 2 moves across the country. They did help tremendously...I put on the head phones at night and went to sleep listening to them. I didn't have to take any meds to relax and find some peace of mind. I don't know if there are any CD's out there...Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Stay in touch and we'll compare and complain to each other LOL
  • advertisement
  • Melissa, don't worry about the neck brace. If your surgeon doesn't feel you should have one, then it's going to be ok. My surgeon is pretty conservative plus I had a 3-lvl fusion, so he wanted me to wear a brace. But the downside is the lack of muscle usage in the neck. That becomes a whole other problem in itself. So, if you don't have a brace, then the great news is that the muscle in your neck won't atrophy.

And, believe me when I tell you that when you're recovering, you really won't care too much what your house looks like. You'll just want things near you that you need and a clear path to the bathroom. LOL

Take care, Melissa. You're going to do just fine.
    Cath
  • Tahoegranny,

The relaxation tapes are a great idea. My couselor and I actually talked about me listening to music when I try to sleep for some relaxation so I think we are on the right track. You and I definately have to keep talking, I think our surgery is only 1 week apart right so we will be stuck at home sleepy and bored for the same time.. lol I will keep in touch.

Cath,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am really feeling better today. Not to say I will be able to continue the positive thinking but you all sure make it easier. I am so thankful for all of you and your knowledge and support. It means the world to me.

Melissa
  • Just quick note to let you all know the anxiets meds are working. I am still anxious but am at least sleeping (still sleepy during the day, but I think that is me getting use to the meds)

Thank to you all for your support.
  • advertisement
  • Good news that the meds are working! Getting a good nights sleep before surgery is half the battle!

I know you are nervous but the anxiety before is worse than the actual thing! Try to funnel your energy and time with prepping for surgery or enjoying time with your children!

At least it should be spring soon, so it will be nice walking weather. Today it's been awful here, cold, windy, rainy,and the low should be 34 degrees~yuck!!

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend! Shari
  • Are you ok? Is your belly swelling going down. I feel so bad and wish there was something I could do to help :(
  • I don't think his PA got the message. Not sure what to think, i don't want to make a big thing out of nothing. I don't have a fever. When my hubby gets home, I will measure the circum. of my belly. I know what it was a week ago. That will give me some idea of the degree of swelling.

thanks for your message! Shari
  • i had acdf on c4 n c5..surgery was april 12th..it was surgery or risk paralysis..I WAS FREAKED OUT BEFORE( dr..gave xanax) AND AFTER..my surgery lasted an hour an half..I woke up feeling like ms frankenstein..until meds kicked in..i also got up on my own and used bathroom..ate puddin and applesauce..went home 5 hrs later..first nite was horrific, i wont lie..but I am 10 days post op..and i feel like a new woman..lol..with hardware..took my first short walk 2day..i go back to dr on april 7th..steri strips are already gettin loose..dr said off by 2wks so looks like im on schedule..good luck
  • recliner is good..and im still in mine..hopefully next week or maybe end of this week will i try my bed
    AGAIN BEST OF LUCK..tak to ur dr..bout nerve pills..cos i had nervous breakdowns at work and at home before i had this surgery..pills help..YOU WILL BE FINE..LOVE PAULA YOUR FRIEND
advertisement