Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Muscle wasting - Is it permanent?

advertisement

Comments

• how long ago was your op? What did the doc say happened, did he tell you he accidentally damaged the nerve, or was it a mystery?

Good luck with your PT. One thing I dont understand yet is the whole nerve healing process, in fact i might make a new post.

Cheers,

Tony
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    An Occupational Therapist deals with fine motor skills such as grasping, pinching, writing, etc. Physical Therapy deals more with gross (large) motor skills (muscles and body parts such as legs, arms, etc).

When I was doing PT for my neck/back this summer there was a woman who had a leg injury in a car accident. She was doing OT and PT for the leg. PT was all of the typical things to build muscle (bike, straightening and lifting the leg, etc). The OT she did was where they placed marbles on the floor and she had to attempt to grasp one with her toes and put in in a paper cup on the floor (because of multiple surgeries and casting/bracing she had lost much of the ability to manipulate her toes as we all do in a normal day). OT is also common post-stroke or post-quadriplegic injury when people have to learn to re-tie shoe laces, button and snap clothing, handle forks/knives/spoon, etc. That would also usually also involve PT for the larger muscle groups

So OT and PT can be done together. In people who have has cervical spine/nerve issues and have weakness or muscle wasting in fingers/hands they'd do OT for that and PT for the whole arm structure.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • advertisement
  • Hi, everyone. I have been a "member" for awhile but I have yet to introduce myself. I have been waiting for surgery for over 10 years. I have suffered greatly. I have extremely muscle wasting, when I was in prime physical shape. It's disgusting. I am a size 2-4 but----I'm all flab.
    I hope to have surgery soon. They told me to wait because it was so bad. That once they started surgery they would keep having to open me up and to wait.
    I had no idea this would happen and I am so embarrassed to even have the docs and nurses see me when I have surgery.

I will take steroids, peptides look promising to me.
    Does anyone know what I can do???
    C4-5 and C5-C6 spinal cord compression, and degeneration seen at most levels, mild kyphosis and disc protrusion@C3-4. Spinal cord flattened at C4-5 w/severe narrowing of C5 and C6 root canal w/cord being forced into the lamina. 3-level.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,082
    Please provide us with more details. Take a look at our FAQ, we explain to members the information that they can provide so that other members can respond to their questions.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement