Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Quick Advice? Please read..

Comments

• Good luck, I hope things start to feel better soon! Did you talk to your doctor about your concerns? I am sure he'd be happy to discuss the risks involved with removing so much of the disk.

• Well I am almost 4 weeks post op and things are ok I guess. After my first follow up with the surgeon I inquired about long term effects of having so much disc material removed and he replied that there is no way to guess. The PA had given me the 30-40% disc removed, the surgeon said there was no way to tell. As far as my pain was concered he said he was happy that the sciatic pain was gone and that only time would tell as far as how well my back healed. How should I be feeling at this point? Any bending or twisting hurts and I am avoiding it but I thought I would be further along in my recovery. It seems like it is taking for ever. And some of the different pains come and go. Is that normal? Any insight or comments are appreciated.

Erik
  • advertisement
  • Try not to over do it right now and really from now on you should probably be careful about how you move, bend,life,twist, etc. Try to remember the things you learned prior to surgery at PT and use them as a guide for body mechanics or read here at spine health about body mechanics,etc.. I did do too much without knowledge of knowing what I should/shouldn't do so that along with just having alot of bad things going on with my back to begin with I was better for a short time then ended up in worse shape and had a fusion(L2/3/4). Actually, the fusion inproved my life much more than before and I am so thankful I had it! My only regret was I waited too long.

It's nornmal to worry after surgery because we do want success and don't want the pain back. I think(hope) your micro surgery will be successful if you give it time to heal, don't be in a hurry, and think about what you do and how to do it from now on. Bend with your legs instead of at the waist, etc. Good luck! Keep up the good work!

Kathy
  • I remember when my doctor told me that he took out more than 50% of my disc at L5S1, I was apprehensive. He didn't give me a positive, encouraging prognosis except to avoid further injuries to avoid a fusion.

So far my sciatica is gone on the side that I had the problem, but now I have some pain on the opposite side. I won't return to my surgeon. If my pain worsens I will need to find another surgeon for his/her suggestions.

What does worry me is that since so much of the disc material is gone along with bone spur near the same area, my bones are very close to touching. I am doing core exercising to keep my spine strong and alignment.

good luck!
  • hi just come across this site and i need all the advice i can get,sciatica started in may 2009 fell really hard on my bottom and have pain ever since,but in 2 weeks the pain well i can only discribe it as hell,went to docs thurs and really flipped,iam not a angry person but my god i was thurs,having mri next week to see whats going on,been on i dont know how many diff painkillers and antinf.at my wits end,i have other health probs but this as floored me x
  • advertisement
advertisement