Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Out of curiosity how many have lied about their condition?

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
I lied for the first time this weekend about my medical condition. I said I had no spine issues, why, because I wanted to do something that had I disclosed my condition I would of been denied one of the best times of my life. I went to the Nascar race this weekend and I was given a chance to drift ride with a professional driver. One of the questions in the liability waver was do you have neck or back issues? I lied and said no. I had the time of my life in that car!!!!
Had I been honest the opportunity would of been taken away. How many others have lied?
Susan
advertisement

Comments

• It could be quite risky to lie sometimes. I mean, what if you'd had an injury to your back - I wouldn't have thought you'd be covered by any insurance policy you may have because it was a pre-existing condition that you didn't declare - so that's why I think it could be risky sometimes (but that's just my personal opinion).

I'll now be totally honest and say that, yes, I have also lied - though not in the same way. I was off sick earlier this year (one of 3 occasions in 2 months I must add). Because I didn't want my employer to know it was back-related so I said it was for some other reason.

Ha! I now have an interview tomorrow at work because I've hit the 'trigger points' according to their absence policy (3 separate times in 2 months). I have, at a previous interview, asked to be referred by management to their occupational health team. Doing this will now turn the last 2 occasions into 'disability' leave if they agree, which does not count towards the trigger points.

Still, lying is lying no matter how it's said I suppose. I should have stuck to the truth, but I didn't want it to jeopardise my job in any way.

It will make interesting reading to find out what other members say????

SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Honestly I am just tired of explaining it to people. They never really get it and it just takes too long to explain.

The other thing more frustrating is the weekly call from my Dad and the first question is the big "How do you feel?". I just get tired of telling him I am still in pain and I just let out a fine. If I tell him I am in pain I get the whole, doctor, what are they doing, you are too young, blah, blah, blah.

It is tough enough to deal with the daily pain and at this point having to explain it over and over also just is adding insult to injury. The last question I want to be asked is "How do you feel?". Lets not forget the tilt of head (like on friends) while they say it....poor guy.

I am in pain, I have been in pain for 2 years...somedays more pain, less pain but pain...got it now do not ask again unless I volunteer the information. That is pretty much how I feel unless you are in the chronic pain game with me. This is why I come here.

-js
  • advertisement
  • Hi Susan.

I had the same opportunity to do just that on las Vegas business trip. Unfortunately, I declined, broke my heart but I didn't want to risk any further injury to myself. As a huge Nascar fan would have loved it. Now we were actually driving the cars, but no matter I was in enough pain anyway so I didn't even go to the track and stayed in town swimming in the pool.
  • I do this as a reflex all the time. Someone asks how I feel and I say OK. Even to doctors. Then I say well not really......

I also find that when I get into explaining what's going on I don't want to say too much. So I will cut it short.

• I lie to casual friends and acquaintances and say I'm Fine in response to "How are you?"
    No one wants to here my BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, story and I don't want to see their eyes glaze over with boredom (LOL!). Although, here's a thought, save your story for someone you run into that you really don't like -- that will fix em!

Judy

• advertisement
  • 1) They believe they have the same amount of pain as me. When I know they do not. Explaining how there neck was sore when they woke up this morning.

2) The many suggestions of how something like "stretching" or something as obvious will fix me.

3) The many suggestions of doctors, accupuncture, yoga..

And yes it does bother me that when I do take the time to explain it that they do begin to get bored 5 minutes in.

-js
  • I have to admit, I too say it as a knee jerk reaction, knowing that the person asking doesn't have the time or is asking as social nicety....

One day before my surgery, I saw a neighbor who told me she also needed lumbar surgery as she was working in her yard, carrying large hill country bolders and placing them in her landscaping.......

at the same time, I had a hard time walking from my car to my doorway......

not the samething I am guessing,.....and she is a PT....

• so very very true js
    exactly my list and then some more
    i often do with ppl on the phone...i say ok i'm fine..
    in person i always get well you look good...I don't bother explaining inside the outside shell..my muscles are screaming..

we do what we have to get thru the day
    and so is we say we okay
    ppl should know we lying ...

so glad you got to ride in that fast car...i myself would not risk my spine...but then i dont like fast cars...
    all my best
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Who among us doesn't lie on a daily basis about these stupid issues we face? The only place I think I have found true understanding is when I can vent my frustrations here to my spiney friends. All of us who read each other's posts can relate to the same...or unfortunately usually can go a little deeper...and that makes coping with reality easier for me. I am asked every day "How am I?" and know that the person asking doesn't give a tinker's damn about how I really am. Great thread. Thanks for posting this.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    Sure I was testing fate by getting in the race car but i also test fate by taking a walk everyday. I want to live my life to the fullest and was it stupid of me to get in the care? sure was, do I regret it no. My father has a picture of me in the car and he keeps telling me he is going to send it to my surgeon. lol. It was great just to forget my issues even if it was
    only for 10 minutes. For those 10 minutes I forgot it all!
    Susan
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.