Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Failed L5-S1 Fusion. What's best resting/lying position for chronic ongoing pain?

Comments

• whatever feels best for you. the only place i have pain is on my stomach. if i lie on right side, my rt leg and butt become numb with bas pain. best areas for me are on my back and my left side. i like to sleep on couch with back to back of coucn but my wife does not like this. not romantic enough for her. our love live suffers when i sleep on couch, but so does it on my stomach and right side. oh well. it's a good thing i am perfect, good looking, sensitive, and romantic and not at least not stuck up ;or my wife would not put up with me. like my dad used to say, " i may not be the best looking guy in the world, but i run a close second."
    mr perfect jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • What works for other people will not necessarily work for you. It all depends on what aggravates your pain and that all depends on what's pressing on nerves and from which direction. I believe that a person in pain naturally moves and tries everything until they come up with something that works, or at least something they can live with.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • advertisement
  • My PT has really pushed me to get on my belly and do press ups every two hours. I have learned from her that I am also better off laying on my bed on my stomach with a pillow under my chest while watching TV. Her focus, FOR ME, has been to reverse the arch in my spine because I'm having difficulty standing straight after my L5/S1 fusion.

I do also like laying on the floor with a rolled-up towel behind my neck for support and with my legs up on a yoga ball-- fully supporting my legs.

I will caution you to check with your doctor and/or PT before trying any of this.

Best wishes,
    Dave
  • I have had 3 spinal surgeries in the last year. Most recently an l5-s1 tlif fusion in mid march of 2012. Hands down, the best position is the zero gravity chair. Understand they are not cheap, but worth every penny for the pain relief and taking pressure off the spine. The original design is by NASA when sending guys into space. I looked at several different brands. I personally recommend you google and look the "Human Touch/Perfect Chair/Zero Gravity chair". I sleep in at night and wake up in less pain that sleeping in the bed. Also, alternating heat and/or ice therapy while sitting in the chair is helpful.
  • riv_poprriv_pop Posts: 6
    edited 08/07/2012 - 5:38 PM
    I have had 3 spinal surgeries in the last year. Most recently an l5-s1 tlif fusion in mid march of 2012. Hands down, the best position is the zero gravity chair. Understand they are not cheap, but worth every penny for the pain relief and taking pressure off the spine. The original design is by NASA when sending guys into space. I looked at several different brands. I personally recommend you google and look the "Human Touch/Perfect Chair/Zero Gravity chair". I sleep in at night and wake up in less pain that sleeping in the bed. Also, alternating heat and/or ice therapy while sitting in the chair is helpful.
  • advertisement
    edited 08/07/2012 - 5:38 PM
    I have had 3 spinal surgeries in the last year. Most recently an l5-s1 tlif fusion in mid march of 2012. Hands down, the best position is the zero gravity chair. Understand they are not cheap, but worth every penny for the pain relief and taking pressure off the spine. The original design is by NASA when sending guys into space. I looked at several different brands. I personally recommend you google and look the "Human Touch/Perfect Chair/Zero Gravity chair". I sleep in at night and wake up in less pain that sleeping in the bed. Also, alternating heat and/or ice therapy while sitting in the chair is helpful.
    edited 08/07/2012 - 7:40 PM
    if you have the resources availablem follow this link and try out this chair... Its incredible. Trust me. I have had 3 spinal surgeries in the last year, most recently a fusion about 5 months ago.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • Fetal position, lying down on either side with my knees near my chest is the only position that works for me. The more pain I have the higher my knees will have to go to releave it, sometimes touching my chest. The same works for me day time, but curling upwards instead of side ways, ie laying down on my back curling up my knees to my chest. That's how I watch tv, or alternatively sitting in a curled up position.
  • i had a ALIF fusion and for the first 8 weeks i could only lay on my back [NOT MY NATURAL SLEEPING POSITION] AND IT MADE MY MOUTH DRY OUT } it was horrible .but 7 months on the only sleeping position is on my right hand side with my adjustable bed slightly raised at the head and a memory foam pillow in between my slightly bed legs ,that's sleep ,the only sitting position is .on my recliner with a memory foam pillow in the small of my back two pillows under my knees and a memory foam pillow for my head and the recliner at the almost bed position ..in the car its a 4x4 so getting in and out is ok but i need a small pillow in my back and i can only drive or be driven for essential journeys .hope this helps ??
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • (First post here)

I spend most of my time on the couch and use a Lounge Doctor leg pad. It's shaped for your legs and puts them at a good angle. I wish I could lie on my stomach, but I can't have a straight body unless I'm standing. However, I often have my feet on the pad and have my legs very bent, partly because of some nausea. I sleep half the night on the couch and half the night next to my wife in the bed on one side of my body or the other with a small pillow between my knees. This is a great thread. Thanks for all of the tips.
    DDD - Micro Discectomy - Double Lumbar Fusion (failed) - Pain Pump
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.