Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Curious - Do you take Cymbalta along with Lyrica or Neurontin?

Comments

• Dave, I am on 120 mg Cymbalta in the morning and 2400mg of Gabapentin throughout the day or 600mg 4 X a day.
    Bill
  • Can't afford the Cymbalta but I'd like to try it. Currently taking Lyrica, have been doing so for awhile now. No weight gain...Weight loss, actually.

I weighed 268 in October. Weighed in at 231 last week.
  • advertisement
  • I Gained 40 lbs on Lyrica (stabilized now...coming down sllllooowwwwly). But I will take the weight over pain any day!! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I gained 10 pounds in two weeks on Lyrica. It was also making my heart race. So, my doctor said to stop it. Before trying Cymbalta next, I had a genetic test done which indicated that I was not likely to be able to metabolize it. So, now, once again, I'm back on Neurontin. Ugh! By the way, the 10 pounds must have been water weight because it came off in about a week or so.
  • You might be on to something there Dave. In the beginning of taking Lyrica for me, I had 'thunder' legs! I could push my finger tip into my leg, let it go and had that 'dimple' for a few minutes! I still have a little of that in my lower legs, but faaaaarrr better than it was in the beginning! :)

Brenda
  • advertisement
  • It's funny how everything is relative. When I was first on Neurontin and every doctor was asking me why I wasn't on Lyrica, I thought that I was doing something wrong. Neurontin made my groggy and nauseas and I wasn't clear that it was helping my pain. So... I stopped it and tried Lyrica. Within 2 weeks I didn't recognize myself (so bloated) and my pain didn't seem much better. Thus, I quickly weaned off of Lyrica.

Before jumping to Cymbalta, I had the genetic test done (Cytochrome P450 test) which indicated that I would have difficulty metabolizing Cymbalta.

So... I'm back on 900mg of Neurontin daily. This time around, the nausea seems all but gone. I still feel groggy, but my insomnia is also gone. That's a huge benefit because previously I was waking up at 2:30 or 3:00 for the day, almost every day. Now, I'm sleeping until 5:30 or 6:00. What a difference!!

I guess my main point is that once you've seen the other side of the fence, the grass really isn't much greener. I seem to be more willing to accept the Neurontin side effects.

Take Care,
    Dave
  • I hear ya there Dave! So true! :) I've never tried any other nerve meds, as this 'first attempt' is a success so far. The good thing is I can see from others on here that there are alternatives should Lyrica and I have issues one day. Too bad narcotics didn't work as well on the rest of it like Lyrica to my nerve pain. *sigh*

Sleep. That was the first area that I noticed improvement on when I was put on Lyrica. Prior to it, my 'good nights' sleep was 5 or 6 one hour naps in a row! Now I sleep 3-4 hours, wake for a few minutes, back to sleep for a couple more. A big improvement! Glad to see you're back on the side of the fence that the grass is greener for ya! :) *HUG*

Brenda
  • Hi Dave, I have been taking Lyrica for some time now for nerve pain. I have only been on Cymbalta for about 6 months. My kids were complaining about my temper so the Dr. gave me this Cymbalta. At first I was taking it in the mornings, and sometimes would sleep all day if I didn;t have anything to do. So I started taking it at night with the rest of my before bed meds. I sleep a little better at night and I don't have the sleeping problem in the morning like I did. It is one the meds that cost me more than the others there is no generic. Both Cymbalta and Lyrica are both of the meds that with co-pay is $23 for 30 pills so I have to get these filled at my local drug store. So far I have nt had any bad reactions to my meds. SLH
  • I was just put on Lyrica today, but I have been taking prozac since my car accident (and what started this whole mess). When I spoke w. my Dr. she talked about the link between depression and fibro/nerve pain. I assume it's b/c you feel like your dependant upon the meds, and pain is depressing anyways...??? I know that when I went on the prozac, I did gain some weight (no idea how much as I was also in my back brace and on all sorts of pain meds.. so what was from the prozac and what was from the other stuff ???), but by staying active and watching what I ate it did level off - and I was even able to lose some weight. We shall see now that Im still on the prozac and just started lyrica tonight.....
  • lyrica 300 mg, cymbalta 90, breakfast and lunch
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.