Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

what do you do all day

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Chronic Pain
I would just like to get a consensus of what all of us that have chronic pain do all day. My pain levels hover between 6 to 7 most days and am not able to work or do most activities that a 41yr old woman would be able to do(shopping, house cleaning, laundry, etc.). Am slowly coming to grips with my disability and soon will be alone all day when the kids go back to school. I really don’t have a lot of hobbies because I was a very athletic person before surgery. What do others like me do all day besides read, TV or play on computer?
advertisement

Comments

• Do college online classes. get a playstation and play video games.
  • Schedule activities to keep yourself busy. Read for one hour, write for one hour (maybe start a blog), each day call a friend you haven't talk to in awhile, start a log of your exercises, if you can't exercise try small stretches or isometrics of each muscle. Pray. Research something that you have always been interested in. Get on Facebook and find your old friends and make new ones.

It is really crazy but I am always busy even though I am basically in bed all day long.
  • advertisement
  • i make a list of things to challenge my brain as i do very little exercises on flare up days....which today is a big one..
    you can let me know good time for you and we can chat in chat room...
    i have started doing indepentant rep job which can't say of course but i'm looking into finding some more work to do online...
    i sure will miss my d she just left sat off to college and my son starts school on 5 days .....
    so i'm thinkin of doing online schooling i started my degree in hospitality industry and even now if i was able to finish i can't do the physical work.....
    so not sure what classes to take i'm waiting to see if i can get ssi and perhaps get some free education.....just to keep my mind working....
    I also have many from sh chat i keep chatting with daily they keep my mind off myself....
    so lets chat sometime and find some ideas for you

tc and i sure know what your feeling
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I dont have enough hours in the day, still! I work and yes, I normally have a day to recover, but I still enjoy life!

I have played games online, been part of a clan, voiced on skype while playing and chatting with people from around the word while playing! I never felt shut in at all. I dont play much now, as I am more active, due to taking time to rest and then getting going again.

I fill my life up with anything I can think of for fun, and if it is too much, fine, figure out a way to modify it! I have many ways of working, including increased pain level activites, backward down to reading or just enjoying a good cigar for an hour!

To me - this has to be as indivual as you are!
  • I tried to find new ways to do old things. It's pretty remarkable how much of my life I've been able to win back by simply thinking out of the box and getting creative.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • it depend on how i am feeling .on a good day i may go to the swimming pool and use there hydrotherapy equipment or wash my car or do some house work .but on a bad day {and there are many} i just lay on my recliner and rest and watch tv 'i too am only 44 and get fed up with not being able to do normal stuff ..a typical day before the pain was get up after a good night sleep shower take dog for a 3 mile walk the eat the swim then wash the car and and and !! but now i count my self very lucky if i can managed one of them {the 3 mile walk is not a possibility now }
    STRAKER
  • Yeh walking had been something I missed. The stenosis would get so bad, that after 50 or 100 yds, my right legs would ache like sin. After a day, I was just vibrating with pain, and that was before diagnosis and meds that worked to control the nerve and chronic pain.

• I just hang around and play computer games with my kids, feed my horses, play with my dogs, make lunch for my kids, read some, pick up around the house if I'm able, go to a doctor's appointment, do some paperwork, feed the horse again, take my daughter riding, muck out the horse's stall, come home, take a hot bath, collapse in pain and exhaustion.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584
    that anyone with Spinal problems should discuss with their doctors.

The amount of time spent on a computer

There has been no medical doubt that many of my flare ups, complications, additional cervical and thoracic problems stemmed from prolonged computer usage.

I stopped driving into work daily and started working from home almost 11 years ago. That was the only way I could stay productive as a computer programmer.

But that eventually took its toll. I was having Physical Therapy 2x week, Aqua Therapy 2x week, Deep Tissue Massage weekly, Tens Unit, Hot/Ice Therapy, all sorts of medication because no matter what those treatments did to help me, the computer usage defeated their usefulness.

When I retired last June, and stopped spending 8-10 hours a day at the computer, I first started to have better days. I have been able to build up some strength and stamina, so that I can spend a few hours a day (maybe) at the computer.

Its not the workstation environment, its not a desktop vs a laptop, its just repetitive usage of a computer that is naturally not good for body mechanics.

So, just keep this in mind when you use your computer. My Deep Tissue person feels that 2 hours a day is the most I should ever do. All my medical doctors agree 100%.

Keep in mind, this is me, with my spinal problems. Everyone is different, that is why I urge people to talk to their doctors about computer usage.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • i have had to back off the computer as it has had my TOS flaring up and i have noticed my elbows and hand ache too
    tony
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.