Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

what do you do all day

Comments

• I'm on the computer a lot during the day, but I break it up. My sitting is getting more uncomfy, so I get up, wiggle a bit, stretch, gentle bends etc. I also have found that if I am in chat too long, my neck starts to yell as my posture pretty much doesn't change in that activity, and my body yelps over it! :)

This to do... Play with my cats (I've taught them to fetch and retrieve), do small projects around the house. Swim in my pool. Work bead projects - off loom works best. Yeah, T.V., computer games, blogging. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I work on average 8-10 hours a day, being in the military there is little time away from work and my pain hovers around a 6 daily and am off all pain killers to do the SCS trial. Free time I go to school and swim with my kids. if I am feeling up to it we go to the store or walk the dogs, just depends on the day.Just try to stay busy as much as my body will allow.
    Live one day at a time and do it with no regrets. I hold my head up high with pride to the fact that i wont let my injury beat me.
    Lumbar surgery 2009
    Cervical fusion C4 to C7 2009
    Neurostimulator 2010
    Heart ablation 2011
    Lumbar fusion L4 to S1 2012 and now L1 2 3 and 4 are split and bulging.
  • advertisement
  • I usually sleep until about 11am to noon. Then I am on the computer 1-2 hours a day, but it's on my bed...I lay around most of my day...try to help my kids with their homework. I'm so grateful to my hubby who does the cooking, cleaning and laundry. My days...I'm just so disappointed in myself, but I can't do any more than this.
  • you can only do what you can do .don't beat yourself up and i include myself ..acceptance is part of dealing with CP
    tony
  • I usually just watch TV or read as most days I cant sit for long periods and I have had terrible trouble sleeping lately so I try and get sleep when I can
    I also revisited doing Cross Stitch when Im able to to try and take my mind off the pain... :H
  • advertisement
  • I get up at 5 a.m. hobble out of bed with my nerve pain out of control and my big joints hurting so bad I almost can’t make it to the bathroom. I take my pain meds (peroscet) and sit on the recliner putting on my make-up (because I’m still a hot chick) waiting anxiously for the meds to kick in. Then I get my hair done, get dressed, go out and feed my horse and other pets and go to work by 6:30. I sit here all day in misery pretty much, don’t talk to hardly anyone because they all look down on me because I AM LATE about 2 days a week and it really annoys them – even tho I use leave and it has NO effect on them. After 4 hours, my medication is wearing off and I could frickin’ bawl, but I have to wait 2 more hours before I’m supposed to take another one. Finally, before lunch time I do, (sometimes I say screw it I can’t stand it) and take one early, then of course I’m in deep doo-doo at the end of the month – but that’s another story. I go home for lunch (don’t take any breaks other than to go out and smoke) so I take an hour for lunch – which annoys the hell out of all the hags too, but I don’t care. I pet my horse, check to make sure he is o.k. (he has serious arthritis issues and other medical issues from being shot when he was younger so he is a constant worry), then I sit on the recliner for half an hour and eat some leftovers. Go back to work till 4 and then go home, feed the animals again, cook dinner and do some housework. In the summer I spend lots of time outside in the pool and on the back deck and try to do as much gardening as I can endure because I adore it! My flower garden is gorgeous and so relaxing to work in. I did it all myself, it has a long winding cobblestone pathway, a pond, trees, gorgeous flowers, it is just beautiful. I cannot do as much in it as I used too and it is killing me not too. Lately I have been drinking a lot after work. It seems to dull the pain somewhat and I am trying to be better about my medication. I don’t know what to do anymore, I am always running short by the end of the month and hurt so bad some days I can’t come to work at all. Then I am laying in bed or the recliner and I hate it! I’m not a big t.v. buff so it really stinks… I wish so badly I could retire (I’m 49) but I have 6 more years at IRS. I cannot afford a medical, but I know if I didn’t have to struggle in to work everyday I would be much better off and enjoy life a lot more. I am usually so trashed by the weekend that I just spend it recuperating. I don’t like my life that much anymore…
  • Guess that was kind of a novel huh...
  • Thanks everyone for posting, lots of good ideas and things to think about. Mouse-really love your reply, I also still do my hair and makeup even though I sit on the couch all day.

This summer I have spent the afternoons at the local beach but this causes more pain then enjoyment for me but kids need to have fun too. The kids will be off to school soon I think I might try to make a quilt out of old clothing, thought it might be a great gift for someone. Like I said, Im not the most talented person when it comes to crafts. Ill probably sew my hand to something like the grinch!!Im going to try different things like crochet, knitting, maybe even take a jewelry class at local craft store to see what I enjoy the most. Im sure it will be hard, it always is for us southpaws!!!

I called my girlfried today who was recently diagnoised with MS to ask her what she thought of maybe getting together with two other friends to have coffee once a week. She thought it was a great idea for she is feeling very alone.I hate feeling so isolated when the kids and hubby are gone. Hopefully these things will occupy my time and spend less time thinking about the pain and depression.

Thanks again-Kathy
  • Newhouse,
    That distraction aspect is key in managing your pain more effectively and you have to see this as an opportunity however limited to do some the things that in you past life were impossible because of the time and responsibility element.

That quality of downtime soon improves and the more we enter into alternative opportunities the more options we have for additional or creative development. We have to make things happen and perhaps devise CP activity, they may not be the things we would like to be doing, they do have value considering our restriction and I spent some years watching others live go past, anything productive is beneficial as long a it help with managing our condition more effectively, socially emotionally and help with those isolation issues.

I always had a periodic review that in what I was doing and the plan for the bigger picture, I have had unimaginable success far bigger that I initially thought, I have viewed this as an opportunity to be grasped with both hands.

Do what works for you and keep adapting.

John.
  • i have had 4 back surgeries and i have to work, need money and health insurance. wife is unemployed so i have no choice. i teach school and also i am looking for a part time job to stay on top of things
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.