Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

FINALLY saw the new neurosurgeon today!

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Chronic Pain
And he said what I expected, although I still left in kind of a daze. He basically said that my back is in a state of steady deterioration and that it's pretty much as good a time as any to operate. He found some neuro loss in my left leg, which probably explains why I broke my right foot.

But I was particularly surprised to hear him say that he thinks there is an 80-90% chance that I will be back to "normal," whatever that is, within 8-9 months of surgery. I didn't even slightly hope for that. I am trying not to see that as a 10-20% chance of a life like this. It's more than I thought I had before.

Anyway, the surgery is 360 degrees, pretty involved. No idea what it's called. He'll remove the entire L2 disk and then do something in that area. I have to have an MRI and cat scan and ask more questions.
advertisement

Comments

• sorry you did not get better news! you will know more with the MRI... good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • You're finally getting answers! Alrighty then!!! :) I don't know if it's a different term in the lumbar, but in the cervical when they remove bone, it is a Corpectomy. Because of inflamed bone, my ACDF's included a "partial" corpectomy. 360, probably like some of the lumbar fuses on here we've all seen. In the front to fix most issues, hardware, then a day or so later go in the back and place rods and screws?

Please let us know what he decides will be best. It's funny, I am happy for you in knowing you are getting answers finally, but sad in that you have one heck of a surgery coming your way. Support *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • I think for lumbar it's called vertebrectomy.
  • HB I like those odds. Wow imagine being back to normal. I would take just feeling a bit more normal - lol. Of course it depends on what you were like before :)

What are your thoughts? You sound dazed.
  • Yes, the odds were much better than I'd ever expected. He sounded quite confident and though I'd done my shopping carefully, basically like this was just another day in the office for him- which is a bit funny considering that I can't find anybody here who's had a surgery like this. He's a trauma surgeon, and so messed up backs are his business.

But I didn't ask many questions today, so now of course I'm full of them. Sigh. Luckily I'll be able to ask when my MRI and cat scan come through.

• advertisement
  • Glad to hear you're getting some answers and have a possibly very positive outcome on the horizon! Let us know how your follow-up visit goes and what else you learn after going through the MRI/CT results. Good luck!
  • I could be wrong, but the procedure you might be looking for is called an Osteotomy. They're not real common in back surgeries but do happen. A 360 just means he's going to mostly likely remove the disc from the front and restore your disc height with some cages, then flip you over and start some serious cutting and add some screws and rods in for good measure. I'm sure the surgery is pretty complex because its a little higher in the lumbar. There have been other folks on here in the past who have had work done in the L1/L2 area and it seems they disappear once they have recovered. Not sure what that means but maybe its good for your prognosis. I only know of one member who has had an Osteotomy and that would be me. Mine was at L5 because my vertebrae was pretty deformed by the time I reached surgery,

Dave
  • spine fellowship trained surgeon????

Lisa

Lisa

Lisa
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.