Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Just venting a bit....

ToYoungforThisTToYoungforThis Posts: 148
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Chronic Pain
I REALLY just need to vent. I am so over all the pain. I do feel I am too young for all the issues I have and very worried about how my future will be. The last few months I have been been feeling better than I have in 5 years, but the last 3 weeks have been hell and with very high levels of pain. I try to be positive in my post, but a few days ago I could not get pain relief at all/ Took more meds then I would of liked to so I had no choice to go to ER to get the pain under control. Most of the staff was great got me in right away, BUT the attending Dr. was a HUGE JERK. There was no doubt I was in pain and he did get me IV meds to stop the pain, but kept telling me that the pain meds I was on were going to shorten my life and that it wasnt healthy. I was in so much pain that I could not help it but to start yelling at him that I know and its not my choice to have so many spine surgeries and issues. This really pissed me off cause I had just took 1 whole month of misery to get off fentanyl and it was horrible. I am trying the best to get by day by day and seems like its all for nothing.

Its like why would an ER Dr talk down to you when he knows you are in pain and have no control over the situation, its just not fair.......
advertisement

Comments

• Geez, why would he say that? What alternative do you have?

Vent away!
  • We all have times to which we HAVE to vent. So please, get it out here where we understand. :) As to the ER doctor, I'm sorry you went through that. I am sure they have seen their share of "drug seekers" and regrettably we sometimes INCORRECTLY get tossed onto that spider web if you will.

I've been lucky in that I've (like many here) have a binder with all my medical stuff in it (MRI's, X-rays, diagnosis's, meds etc.). Try and block his attitude out and try to rest and calm down. Being 'down' or upset actually makes pain worse many times. Gentle support *HUGZ* to you!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • I would think that as a physician, he is obligated in a manner of speaking to warn you about the associated health risks that come along with long term narcotic use. He may have felt that he was doing you a favor by warning you about the risks.

Kind of like handing someone a pack of cigarettes and not warning them about the health risks associated with smoking.

Now if he came right out and called you a drug seeker or an addict, that would be wrong. He did treat your pain and got things back under control for you.

When we hurt that bad, it is so difficult to see things as clearly as we would hope to or like to. Which that in and of itself proves how important it is to have not just adequate pain management, but good pain management.

I hope that you are feeling better and that things stay better controlled for you.

"C"
  • That is disgusting what the ER doctor said to you..Some doctors should give it up as they have no compassion or understanding..

He has no right as he doesnt know what pain levels you have and what we all go thru dailty.

He should re read the old saying "Be me for a day and then tell me what you feel like".

Hope your feeling a little better now.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,552
    but coming right out and saying the pain medications are going to shorten your life is going a bit too far.

ER doctors get to see all types and I believe that some of them feel that people that come into the ER for pain problems are only looking for pain medications.

Some of their concerns would be: Why is this person coming into the ER for pain control?, Where is there normal doctor?

Most of the time pain does not just happen over night, so seeking your normal doctor for help would seem to be the right action to take.

Yes, there are times when you do get a instant on set of major pain, your normal doctor is not available, so your only option is the ER.

In any case, no doctor has the right to talk down to you and be as blunt as the statement they made.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Not to side track this post....but I'm beginning to wonder why so many people need to go to the ER for pain. As you say Ron the ER docs would assume that a patients pain is controlled by their regular doctor and only a sudden onset of outrageous pain should force someone to go to the ER.

It just seems like there have been alot of posts recently about people going to the ER and/or that they have had to go several times in the past. Is this really so common? If so it would seem that the doctors are not doing their job.
  • I would assume they go to the ER for IV pain relief, which their doctors can't prescribe at home.

Personally, if that was the doctor's way of giving her the risks of the medications, his bedside manner stinks. When a person is in terrible pain and has few choices, giving a hyperbolic lecture about how it's going to ruin her life is not good medicine.

It seems to me that it is easier to defend doctors (if that is what you wish to do) by admitting that they are human and have human personality characteristics, rather than trying to make everything they say out to be something said for our good- because THAT doesn't really work. Sometimes doctors make mistakes, just like everybody else. And trying to turn condescension around into "for your own good" is really hard to do without being even more condescending.

A doctor who approaches a hard-made decision by throwing a lot of hyperbole at the patient is negating the fact that she made that decision using her critical thinking skills and the information her own doctor gave her. The patient is left wondering whether he thinks she doesn't have a brain to make this sort of difficult decision. Plus, of course, his information wasn't entirely the FDA approved warnings, and he didn't bother to give any evidence for his theory.

• What I find interesting, is that this physician is being lambasted without having the ability to present his recount of the visit.

I'm not implying that the OP is distorting the events of that visit. Not at all. I am merely presenting the argument that perception can be incredibly effected by pain.

Also a one sided discussion turned into a debate, is not a true representation of any event.

"C"
  • knows what they felt like and how they felt they were being treated. I have not gone to the ER for pain in years, but have thought about it. I know I'm under medicated, and I do run out early occasionally and i do have to take that time off work because I hurt so bad I could blow my brains out. It happens. Doctors aren't always wonderful, mine isn't.
  • That's because we're here to support the patient, not the doctor. At least I am.

If a person comes here to vent I am going to take their vent at face value, not try to make it fair for the person they are venting about, unless the ventee is also on this board. I'm a friend, not a mediator.

Anyway, since this is a board specifically for patients, not for doctors, it's much easier for most of us to see it from that side.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.