Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

360 fusion anyone else?

tractxttractx Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My surgeon says I have to have a 360 two level fusion. Has anyone else had this proceedure? Please give me any input on things that helped you and what to expect during surgery and recovery. Thanks guys
advertisement

Comments

• i have just had a discography and i will be having a 3 level 360 soon {no date yet} all i can tell you is that its the biggest and hardest fusion to recover from as they go in both ways back and front even side sometimes so you and i will have multiple surgical wounds .won't plan anything for at lest 12 months afterwards i have been told to expect 12 months to get over the operation with a lot of hard work involved {aqua physio daily exercise and other things then another two years to regain strength and get as fit as i can be .i have also been told that its a repair and i will never be totally pain free and i will have to except that i wont be able to do certain things like life heavy things {ever} do energetic stuff like rock climbing water skiing etc .i should be happy that i can walk sleep and drive ..{i dont know your spinal circumstances but i have been told that my lower spine is in a terrible state {4 surgeons have already turned me down for surgery as i am high risk and there are only a hand full of surgeons in the UK that are qualified to do this kind of surgery } you may not be as bad so i have given you my circumstances ..so dont worry too much you may be able to do a lot more than me !!
    tony
  • I'll be having a 360 degree fracture repair. It will be like a fusion, except they'll be removing a damaged vertebrae and replacing it with something (I don't have the details yet, I'll get those next week) and then fusing the levels above and below, I believe.

I was told by my surgeon to expect 6-9 months recovery, but just reading here people with 360 degree fusions seem to take anywhere from 6 to 18 months to recover.
  • advertisement
  • do a search on this site as there is a lot of info that people have posted. He is a link from mine earlier in the year. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/lumbar-revision-surgery-experience-long
  • Thanks for the information. It is a little scary when you think about it. As far as my current condition is, pain is so subjective but to give you an idea I take hydrocodone 10/325 every 4 hrs, zanaflex 3 times a day and neurontin twice a day. I am off work now till???? and I will have to get up out of this chair a couple of times before I finish this post. I talked to my wife the other day about how I feel (its nice to be able to have someone to talk to but its hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there) I told her that some times I would rather be paralyzed in a wheelchair than be in this pain. She told me too look at this way any outcome, from my surgery, that removed some of my pain and didn't leave in a chair was a good outcome and not to be scared she was with me all the way. That was an incredible feeling.
    So I don't think I am in as much pain or have as many difficulties as many of you here but reading your stories has inspired me so much. That along with my wifes help I feel like I can get through anything.

P.S. I have filed for disabality with the Social Security Admin. I don't think I'll ever be where I go back to my profession of driving a truck. If any of you have any info that would help I would appreciate it.

• I had 360 surgery in late April that involved 4 level (lumbar)fusion with instrumentation. I am now at 5 months. I'm doing okay but the recovery is painfully slow. I suggest keeping a log for weekly notes so you can look back and see the progress you made for the weeks/months become a blur and progress is so slow that it can get you down if you don't have a frame of reference to help. Also, write down all the pain meds (when you take each one) so you can work at getting off of them. It is hard to remember stuff when one is on meds. A real enjoyment: water therapy. I found a warm pool at an apartmentment complex and it is great.
  • advertisement
  • that's a wonderful idea about keeping a journal of your progress so you can see how far you've come. I will definitly do that thanks man.
  • I am 7 months post 360, this site has been a life saver for me, I can't imagine what I would have done without my spiney friends.

The recovery is long and slow but for most of us there isn't any other choice.

I am so much better now and am getting my life back. Feel free to ask any questions you have, we are here to help.

Wishing you the very best!
  • I sincerely thank you all for the support. There's nothing as good as knowing your not alone because like I've said before no matter how good their intentions nobody truelly except those that have been there.
  • I am not sure what kind of fusion I had, but my scar starts at my upper back, down my side and around to my tummy to my navel. I am 54 years old, I had this back in 2000, I will be having my lumbar fusion in the next couple of months. It was a year of recovery, but I did go back to work after 2 or 3 months cannot quite remember. If you want to ask me anything, please do.
    Tara
    Tara56
  • You must be really tough. I don't know that I have the constitution to go back to work 2-3 mo. after such a surgery. Hate to hear that you have to have another one though. Will definetly keep you in our thoughts and prayer. I am wondering how big of a role age plays in recovery. Most of the people that I've seen so far that have had quick recoveries, have been really young. I'm 44 and altough I do heal very well, I definetly do not recovery as quicly as I did when I was 20 something.
advertisement