Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Aaargh! Work - what would you do?

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Chronic Pain
If you are aware of my situation, then you’ll know that I need to return to work as soon as possible for financial reasons.

I’ve had the necessary Occupational Health doctor’s confirmation that I am fit enough to return to work – but with ‘reasonable adjustments’. He has sent this report to my Manager, as far as I know.

On Monday (27 September) I emailed my Line Manager to say I can return to work on Monday 4 October, in line with Occy Health, but wanted to know where I should go (because I’m timetabled to work somewhere else on Mondays) and at what time should I meet her. I believe I need to have a back to work interview first where we can discuss the Occy Health Doctor’s recommendations etc.

No response from my Manager.

I emailed her again on Thursday. I received an email back saying that she would phone me tomorrow (i.e. today, Friday) to discuss my return to work.

I waited in ALL blimming day and, yes, you guessed it, she didn’t bother to phone me. I left a message on Occy Health’s answerphone to ask for advice as I didn’t know what to do.

After discussing it with my family, tonight I have sent another email to my Manager (with a copy to Occy Health) saying that because I haven’t heard from her, I will arrive for work at 9.00am on Monday (where she is based). I don't even know if she'll be there, but that's not MY problem. She should have phoned me.

I seem damned if I don’t and damned if I do – if you see what I mean. If I don’t turn up on Monday, then she can say I should have done so because Occy Health agreed to it. However, when I do turn up, she might then say I shouldn’t have until I had spoken to her first. I wrongly thought that if an employee was off sick (it’s been 11 weeks) their manager has a responsibility to keep in touch with you, ha! I’m the one that has instigated any communication between us. I even went into work 2 weeks ago to hand in my sick note to her personally. My sick note was until 2 October and the Occy Health doctor has signed me fit to return from Sunday 3rd – hence my return to work on Monday 4th. I told her then that I hope to return on the 4th. Coincidentally, my occupational sick pay ceases on 4 October, that’s why it’s important for me to return.

Aaaaarghh! I’m so blimming angry.
What else am I supposed to do?
What would you do in the same situation (just turn up for work or wait for her to call you on Monday)?

I'd be interested to hear your views. Thanks!

SUE
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
advertisement
13

Comments

  • <:P Idiots! But I must say I love this blimming word...where are you from?<br />
    I would have done exactly what you did. Good for you. Go Monday with bells on...if your manager is not there find another manager and check in...then go home.

    Angela
  • I'm a Londoner living in South Yorkshire (for the last 20 years). They talk funny up here and at first I couldn't understand what they were talking about, ha!

    Where are you in this big wide world?

    I'm so pleased you would do the same and just go into work. That makes me feel a little better.

    I wonder if anyone else has any comments?
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • advertisement
  • Howdy Sue,

    I too would have done similar as you did. The only thing different is after lunch (having not heard from the manager) I would have called her. Then if she didn't answer, leave a "I'll see you Monday morning for my return to work" voice mail.

    Other than that, like was said, go in "with bells on" and hook up with her or another manager. See what flies from there. Good luck!! :)

    Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sue I would do exactly what you are doing. Sounds perfect. It is very inconsiderate of your manager not to have called you. Maybe she will call you over the weekend and give you an update?

    When I was off for both my surgeries my manager called me like every few days to check on me and ask me questions about my Region he was covering fromout of State. I was a little angry since I was on the clock but he has been outstanding to deal with as far as the back problems go. His wife has very bad spinal problems so he knows what it is like to have a mind that is willing but a body that can't.

    Good luck,

    Julie
  • i want you to rest up more and get stronger but i know about your financial situation too please promise me that you will do the uppermost to take care of your back ..and thank you for your support recently when i was down
    txx
  • advertisement
  • I think you are making the right choice to show up at the office. You made contact to let her know what your plan was. Maybe she thinks all is set in her mind since you checked in with what you would do Monday. You mentioned you checked in 2 weeks ago so she knows you will do it again. Go for it, do your part to show up. That puts responsibility in her hands to decide how they will meet the requirements requested for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

    Kathy
  • wife laid off, need to work with back pain. have to keep family on insurance. If i retire i can substitute for health benefits. 2-3 years away. if i could afford to retire, i would. i've worked with back pain for almost 10 years now. no choice
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I'd do what you have planned, show up and be ready for work. You've informed her and it could come back to bite you if you don't go in.

    In my opinion, you're handling this exactly the right way.

    Good luck on going back to work. I hope that you're able to do it.

    Please keep us posted.
    Cath
  • I would agree. You are handling this correctly.

    You have informed your employer you can return to work. Have provided them with your restrictions. It is now up to them to decide wether they can comply.

    The ball is in their court.

    I would show up ready to go.

    Good Luck. I'm sending up positive thoughts or prayers (whichever language you prefer) that you are able to manage the job and perform accordingly.

    Do keep us posted!
  • I'd do exactly as you have done/are doing. I'd go in because I wouldn't want to give them the opportunity to say I Didn't show up... I'd be angry because I tend to expect at least as much courtesy and professionalism from my boss as I give them... unfortunately, I'm often disappointed ;)

    Keep on, keeping on!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.