Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hurting so bad

inchwormiinchworm Posts: 719
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a good day yesterday and was a good girl and wore my brace when I went shopping and later when I was doing active things outside. All was fine until I went to bed at 9:30 pm and as soon as I layed down the pain in my leg started up mildly. A couple of hours later it was a little worse but at 1:30 when I woke up it was a lot worse and radiating clear from my back all the way down through my shinbone. Took 2 Dilaudid and got in a hot shower, playing the hot water over my legs and back, then got out and took 2 Lyrica at 2:00 pm. Am afraid to lie down again for fear it will get worse again. Anybody have anything like this happen during early recovery from lumbar fusion? My surgery was 16 days ago.
Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
advertisement

Comments

• That was 2:00 am, not pm. Guess I can't edit the first post in a thread.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • To edit your first post go on the page where you are now and look to the top right and it says edit and you can edit your first post.

It's great you got out yesterday but maybe you over did some things and caused your leg flare up. I know if I overdo things and I take muscle relaxers, I still wake up with leg cramps but haven't had surgery. I hope you're feeling better later today. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • I agree with Charry, for being only 2+ weeks out from surgery may have been too soon for all you did, even with your brace on.
    Try to take things slow for a few days and hopefully you will feel better. Also, if things don't settle down pain-wise, call your Dr. and let him/her know whats going on.

Take care,
    Lisa
  • Thanks, Charry and Lisa,

I think you're right about me doing too much. I get a day when I feel really good and I want to go and do things. I figure if I'm careful about twisting, bending, etc, and wear my brace, I'm okay to do whatever I want, but I'm having to acknowledge that I'm pushing myself. Thanks for the nudge, I needed that. Am going to call the PA this morning and ask for more Lyrica--boy that stuff makes me loopy but it does help the pain. And I'm almost out of pain meds so will see what he'll give me for over the week-end.

Thanks also for the tip on how to edit a first post. I expected to see the Edit button lower down where the others are.

I hope you both are feeling better today. It's gorgeous Indian summer here and we're thoroughly enjoying it. Could be snowing next week, one never knows in Montana! :)
    Linda

• Hi Linda! Wow, at just 2 weeks you have a ton of energy! I wan't doing nearly that much at the same point in recovery! I know you have heard this so many times but....you are so early in your stage of recovery. Take it slow and maybe have the goal of one activity each day.

My physical therapy taught me how to decompress my spine by laying on my back on the sofa, having my calves on pillows so my knees and hips are at 90 degress with my arms at my sides and my head in midline. I would lay there 10-15+ minutes a couple times a day and it really helped with the leg pain and achiness.

Hope this helps! Take care!
  • advertisement
advertisement