Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

New and seeking encouragement

stalcupaamsstalcupaam Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all... my name is Aubrey, I'm a 30-year-old military wife and stay at home mom to two very active boys, ages 5 and 3. I also homeschool my oldest.

A little history....

I have had lumbar back pain for about 18 months that has gotten progressively worse. I have some sciatica in both legs that does not go past about mid-thight, and I also have pins and needles sensations on my lower legs. Sometimes it feels more like ants crawling on me, sometimes it's a warm sensation, others it's very definite pins and needles.

I had an MRI in November of 2009 that showed facet arthropathy, mild disc degeneration and a bulging disc with annular tear (all occuring at L4/5, L5/S1).

I also have rheumatoid arthritis that I have been on meds for since 2008. My RA is quite well managed and I rarely have pain associated with it, usually only if I have to skip meds due to illness.

For my back, I have been treated with three facet injections at L4/5 and and SI injections at S1. They relieved my pain for several weeks but nothing more. I have been on a low dose of vicodin and flexeril. I can only take them at night as I have to be able to function during the day. During the day I alternate between Tylenol and Motrin, but it doesn't do much good. The flexeril helps me sleep and seems to lessen my leg pain some, the vicodin doesn't seem to do much but make me sleepy.

Anyway, I found this board through a link from my doctor's website and I am hoping to be able to get to know some of you and find encouragement and offer encouragement and prayers for others. Sometimes it helps knowing that I'm not alone, and that this isn't all in my head.

Blessings,
Aubrey
advertisement

Comments

• Only once you received facet joint injections? I get facet joint S1 and hip injections with an epidural to help the sciatica. I take Cymbalta for sciatica also. Are you taking a nerve pain med like that? Well there's lots of support when you need it here. Take care and hope you get some relief soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. so glad you stopped by.. you will find so many friends here...i also think you should look into some nerve pain medication for the sciatica in your legs.. please talk to your doctor... good luck to you.. please feel free to drop in anytime...you must get lonely with your husband away at times... i hope you find some pain relief soon! Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. so glad you stopped by.. you will find so many friends here...i also think you should look into some nerve pain medication for the sciatica in your legs.. please talk to your doctor... good luck to you.. please feel free to drop in anytime...you must get lonely with your husband away at times... i hope you find some pain relief soon! Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • Hi Aubrey,

Welcome to the Spine Health support forum. You've come to a great place to find information on your back problems as well as friendly support from other members who have been through similar back problems.

What did your doctor say about treatment besides the facet and SI injections? You're on some pain medication but have you been given any suggestions as to where to go from here? Being the mother of three young, active boys, and having to deal with RA as well, you need to know what your options are for your back pain. Unrelenting back pain (any kind of unrelenting pain) wears a person down. You need to be given some kind of direction to go from here. If I were you, I'd talk to my doctor about this. :)
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
advertisement