Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

1st day back at the gym after surgery.

slb3sslb3 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It's been six weeks since my surgery so I decided to get back to the gym. Today I did about 20 mins on the elliptical trainer, rested for a bit and then 15 mins on the stationary bike. I think I did fine on the elliptical but the bike really irritated my L5 nerve a bit. After 6 weeks I was really hoping to get back to my routine but this nerve seems to have other plans. My nerve had been pinched for about 4 months so I'd expect it to be a little sensitive for a while but after 6 weeks I'd thought this would be cleared up. Should I be worried? Should I be dialing my surgeon asap?
advertisement

Comments

• have you done physical therapy yet. did you doctor told you it was ok to do this kind of exercises what kind of surgery you ve got done in my opinion is away to early for those kind of execises.you really need to becafull
  • Dr. cleared me to walk, swim, ride my bike. Spoke with the Dr. and he said my L5 nerve just needs to calm down. It was pinched for a while, so its going to hurt when you move for awhile. So far everything seems to be getting better.
  • advertisement
  • Howdy! Did your doctor know about the elliptical? I ask that because of the rotation (up and down more so) of your lower spine and hips? I haven't had back surgery yet, but had to stop my elliptical due to pain...a bike wasn't bad, nor a tread mill. Of course like *any* spine surgery, if in doubt, call your surgeon's office to be sure. Hope all is well!! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • What kind of surgery did you have sl?
    What was the cause of your need for surgery?

-----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Paul said:
    What kind of surgery did you have sl?
    What was the cause of your need for surgery?

Had a micro decompression on L4-L5. Needed the surgery because I blew the disc during a cycling race in the spring. It's getting better, I can walk all day and I'm able to sit longer. I just have been getting tired of walking and trying to do something else.
  • advertisement
  • Aviatrix36440 said:
    Howdy! Did your doctor know about the elliptical? I ask that because of the rotation (up and down more so) of your lower spine and hips? I haven't had back surgery yet, but had to stop my elliptical due to pain...a bike wasn't bad, nor a tread mill. Of course like *any* spine surgery, if in doubt, call your surgeon's office to be sure. Hope all is well!! :)

Brenda
    Yeah. I don't think the elliptical helped matters. I can walk fine, so the treadmill is ok. I prefer to just walk around outside though. Unfortunately, the bike has been painful because of nerve irritation. It's a real pain (pun intended) :) in the backside that ive gone from riding a 100 miles on a road bike to struggling with a few miles. I guess it just going to take some time.
  • 6 Weeks is still pretty early, and most don't even show fusion beginning at that stage! For my neck surgeries, my post op instructions (love this) "Let your body guide you!" Or my version of understanding. "If it hurts, stop doing that!" (G) Just be careful, please? I know it stinks not doing a lot of things you love, but that should come in time. :)

Brenda
  • slb3 said:

Had a micro decompression on L4-L5. Needed the surgery because I blew the disc during a cycling race in the spring. It's getting better, I can walk all day and I'm able to sit longer. I just have been getting tired of walking and trying to do something else.
    Oops! My bad (ref. fusion). 6 weeks is still early. :)

Brenda
  • netty74nnetty74 South carolinaPosts: 18
    I had a hemilaminectomy with discectomy on 7/11/16 , l5/S1 ,looking forward to joining a gym and walking in the treadmill and doing some core strengthening exercises .  I don't ever want to go through this again ! Right now I'm just walking around in the house I live in SC and the temps have been over a 100 degrees and the heat makes me a nauseous .  
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 451
    I had discectomy at L5-S1 and was instructed by surgeon to not get back on the elliptical for several months post-op; that particular piece of equipment puts strain on the lower back and you have to be very careful about form.  Honestly I haven't really gone back to it, just found other exercises to do.  I discovered aquacise at the local pool while I was waiting for surgery.  I was in so much pain, I could barely walk, but that 45-minute class in the pool was the best thing since sliced bread!  My GP, surgeon and PT all encouraged me to keep it up, and I returned to it 8 weeks post-op (the recommendations in Canada are lot more conservative than in the US, I'm finding).  Especially as I wear a flotation belt and exercise in the deep end, there is virtually no impact to joints and very little tortion when doing some of the same exercised you would do on the floor or in a gym/aerobics class.  Don't rush getting 'back' to normal!

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.